Lake Goodwin

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
NWBoater45
Petty Officer

Lake Goodwin

Post by NWBoater45 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:32 am

We will be camping at Wenberg in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if there what type of fishery will be going on at that time. I am not much of a bass fisherman so other pan fish would be fine. I am assuming trout is pretty much over by now. Just looking for any ideas or where to fish on the lake.

Thanks.

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Lake Goodwin

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:36 am

I havent fished that lake, but you can look it up in the Lake Index and read all the reports from years back. You can even search for reports just from August or any month you want.

You can also look the lake up in the Hotspots section and see where people have been catching fish and what they were.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:55 am

I fish Goodwin regularly. Trout will still bite in August, just don't try trolling. After the first week in July I have not been able to get them to take any offering trolling. I've tried everything. They will however still bite if you still fish. Use a slip sinker and about 4 feet of leader, anchor up and drop your lines down to the bottom. Most use some type of powerbait or power eggs. I've had better success with the chartreuse eggs. Most don't know, but you can chum in Goodwin if you are so inclined. If you chum, some type of mixture of corn, and feed eggs works well. Can add other stuff if you want like mill run, bone meal etc. The bite isn't off the charts, but they are there. Average fish right now run 14-15 inches, with some larger fish available. I find still fishing boring so I typically stay away from the lake during these hot months, plus the lake by 9-10am starts to turn into a zoo of power boats. Best areas to try are south of the launch in about 35-40 feet of water, or in the southwest area of the lake.

For perch, go a little closer to shore, throw a worm about 3-4 feet under a bobber, and you will have pretty consistent action.

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:11 pm

If you do any fishing from shore, there always seems to be a trout fisherman or two fishing about 50 yds N of the swimming area on the "point" there. It's a nice wooded area with open area for casting your pb or worm. I've seen enough guys there when I'm bass fishing that they must be catching a fish or two.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:01 pm

dutchman2858 wrote:If you do any fishing from shore, there always seems to be a trout fisherman or two fishing about 50 yds N of the swimming area on the "point" there. It's a nice wooded area with open area for casting your pb or worm. I've seen enough guys there when I'm bass fishing that they must be catching a fish or two.
I've seen a guy there in chest waders walk out til he was waist deep, then cast his line out. Ive seen guys catch there. It gets deep pretty quick right off that point.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:03 am

I do best with chartreuse or orange power bait off bottom with 4-5 ft leader. My favorite sport is the southwest side. fishing from in front of the canal that goes to Shoecraft down to the southern-most cove where the houses with the hedges are. The "hedges" has been a great spot on that lake since before my time! Try some night crawlers down near the bottom too, you'll run into nice perch, trout, and Small Mouth bass too. I used to catch tons of perch and bluegill on the west side of the peninsula too when I was younger. As for time of year, I have caught many nice size trout in Goodwin year round!
Good Luck!!

NWBoater45
Petty Officer

Post by NWBoater45 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:05 am

Thanks for the reports guys. Lots of good ideas.