Opening Weekend!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
riverhunter
Commander

Re: Opening Weekend!

Post by riverhunter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:26 pm

I will most likely be on Martha lake in Lynnwood taking out the raft for the first time this year!

Jcverhalen
Petty Officer

Post by Jcverhalen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:35 am

Amx wrote:My FAVORITE place to be on opening day, and weekend, is ON MY COUCH, or I stay in bed. Image
Man were you right! Was dumb enough to try....250 people and 30 boats on Padden at5am. Back to bed!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:40 am

Jcverhalen wrote:
Amx wrote:My FAVORITE place to be on opening day, and weekend, is ON MY COUCH, or I stay in bed. Image
Man were you right! Was dumb enough to try....250 people and 30 boats on Padden at5am. Back to bed!
That's bunches! Too windy for me, I did get up tho, and watched tv, after killing a few moles. =D>
Tom.

Interests: living

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Jcverhalen wrote:
Went to the west dock a little after midnight, no bites. Went back about 5:45 met a guy named Hunter (only other guy there) and before I was done rigging up, there were FIFTEEN PEOPLE AT LEAST on the dock. My mistake for not doing that the night before.. But landed one quick fish and then we decided to walk around and see how people were doing. Ended up spending another hour or so right by the tennis courts, all three of us catching 2-3 more fish. All around 10" stockers, and if I wasn't too tired to cook they would have been decent eating. Just pinched my barbs and let them all go though. I also went back about an hour ago in the howling wind and rain (a lot different than this morning) and caught one and missed one and then decided to quit for the day. I also stopped by toad to see what was going on and saw two people land a fish in the couple minutes I was there, and many john boats out on the water. I will be back at it tomorrow if anyone wants to meet up at padden! It may be a cluster this weekend but I think tomorrow will be a bit better, and who can really complain when they are spending the day fishing...

Also, anyone else that is going to Padden: I seemed to have a lot of luck with the chartreuse power bait balls, about three feet off the bottom.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:41 am

I fished Martha lake In Lynwood till about 930 then went up to Heart lake for a few hrs. Managed a couple fish then went hiking.. Ill be at Martha again today if I dont have work

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:57 pm

fisherman92 wrote:I have a friend who lives on lake Ki and I have been to the opener there for prob the last 15 years. Its more for the entertainment of watching the parade of boats trolling around trying not to run into each other. Also all of the neighbors are usually hammered by about 8am haha. ALWAYS catch lots of trout there, but mostly small stockers. This year I'm heading to Big lake with some friends bass fishing to try to avoid the trout madness that will ensue... I hope its not too busy.. We shall see
I was there. Pretty quiet for Ki but then there was the wind and some rain. All in all a pretty good day, floated around and caught some fishes. and went home with no incidents. :)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

slf51
Angler

Post by slf51 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:08 pm

I was over at Omak Lake April 25th & 26th and the water was really cloudy with what looked like sediment. The fishing was terrible. I usually hit this lake 3 or 4 times a year and have had an exceptional time. This lake is by far my favorite place to fish. And you're right, there are some really nice fish. It's nice to catch several trophy sized trout on almost every trip. How was the water clarity and fishing when you were there? Was the road to Nicholson Beach (Beer Can Beach) closed then? I had to park up above a hike down.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sun May 21, 2017 6:22 pm

It seems like by this time, every year, I dont care if I ever see another little trout again!

Ive hosted dozens of boat trips to local area lakes, many times with multiple limits, some not so good though. Opening day was 3 nephews, 2 daughters, mom, dad, sister and wife. My freezer is full of trout, dinner was trout twice last week, the smoker will be going constantly here pretty soon.....

But come april next year, Ill be eager to get back out and do it again. Rods will spooled and tied, gear organized and restocked, well in advance of opening day!

The memories of my childhood trout opening day events make me want to give the same thing to my kids. And, i guess, after a long fishless winter, "its for the kids" is a great excuse to get out there and catch a bunch of silly little trout.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:10 pm

slf51 wrote:I was over at Omak Lake April 25th & 26th and the water was really cloudy with what looked like sediment. The fishing was terrible. I usually hit this lake 3 or 4 times a year and have had an exceptional time. This lake is by far my favorite place to fish. And you're right, there are some really nice fish. It's nice to catch several trophy sized trout on almost every trip. How was the water clarity and fishing when you were there? Was the road to Nicholson Beach (Beer Can Beach) closed then? I had to park up above a hike down.
It was that way when I was there as well. We didn't hike down but we went to cow Pie beach and I caught one beauty, it was the only one we got. We put my boat in the next day and checked out Beer Can and the water was so high we hardly recognized where we were. [woot] We are headed back htis weekend for a long weekend. If Omak is still "blown" we will fish other lakes in the area. I know what you mean about Omak Lake, its a really cool place and where else can you catch a half dozen 5 or 6 lbs trout from the bank throwing spinners or floating a fly under a strike indicator.

slf51
Angler

Post by slf51 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:10 pm

I also live on the west side. It's almost a 5 hour drive for me. When you get back and post your fishing report. Could you please note if the road to Beer Can is open or not and also what the water clarity is like. I've been wanting to go back over, but that's a long drive to find those things out. Thanks and good luck fishing.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:24 am

slf51 wrote:I also live on the west side. It's almost a 5 hour drive for me. When you get back and post your fishing report. Could you please note if the road to Beer Can is open or not and also what the water clarity is like. I've been wanting to go back over, but that's a long drive to find those things out. Thanks and good luck fishing.
Will do. We know we are taking a gamble on Omak Lake but there are other GREAT lakes very lose by that very worth the drive. Have you ever been to Green lake on the way to Conconully or in the Sinlehekin valley?

slf51
Angler

Post by slf51 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:08 pm

I've read about Green lake over there, but have not fished it yet. Sounds like it might be a good back up for my favorite lake. Omak lake has me spoiled. I had one trip last year where over a Tuesday afternoon thru Thursday morning about 10:00am, where I caught and released 52 Lahontan cutthroat trout. There were only one or two smaller fish, a good third of the fish were very large trout , with the rest being what I consider larger than normal fish. The BITE WAS ON. The fish were also much more aggressive than usual. While trying to land a large fish, I watched a even larger trout repeatedly try to steal my lure from the trout I was playing. What a rush. That was one of the best fishing trips of my life. I looking forward to repeating that experience. Good luck fishing!!!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:54 am

slf51 wrote:I also live on the west side. It's almost a 5 hour drive for me. When you get back and post your fishing report. Could you please note if the road to Beer Can is open or not and also what the water clarity is like. I've been wanting to go back over, but that's a long drive to find those things out. Thanks and good luck fishing.
The road to Beer can is still closed although it should open soon as its just big wet spot in road that has made a mud hole. That end of the lake still has lots of silt , it is way better than it was. Again I caught one fish which is very disappointing for that lake. We couldn't get to Green lake as that road is under water. lots of flooding over there like I have never seen. It was in the 90's the whole time we were there........