propane heater

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Sideburns
Commander

propane heater

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Looks like my tank top heater is toast. Looking into something to replace it with. I recently borrowed a big buddy heater that worked great. Im leaning towards something similar to this. Are there any similar but recessed propane heaters like the indoor home wall heaters that would hold up in a marine environment? Something recessed would be ideal in our lund if possible.... otherwise, whats your favorite boat heat source?
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: propane heater

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:01 am

We have the standard size Buddy/Mr. Heater and place on the bow step which takes it out of the way. Works great. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:00 am

Ya what Phil said. A standard Mr Buddy works great in our Hewes

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:43 pm

A Hunter/Buddy on the step of our TJ keeps the enclosure toasty warm. Typically we get 4-5 hours on the low setting.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:25 pm

I've been using a Buddy Heater with a 1 gallon bulk tank for about 10 years now. As long as you have a cabin which can keep the wind off of it, they work great. If you have to expose it to the elements, the tank top styles are probably your best bet.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:20 am

hewesfisher wrote:We have the standard size Buddy/Mr. Heater and place on the bow step which takes it out of the way. Works great. [wink]
Roger that! Same here. My only complaint with the buddy heaters is wind will put them right out. Canvas is a must and keep the curtain closed.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:05 pm

The canvas is so much more expensive than propane though.... This darned lund 1600 angler (deep vee aluminum 60hp outboard) has a single sided windscreen (driver has to tuck behind it to get shielded from wind at speed). any kind of enclosure plan at all first has to deal with the lacking windshield..... and to add to that, the boat also has deceptively low sides. Some day I'll either find a junk boat to salvage the windshield and dash, etc.. from or upgrade boats. Until then, radiant heat will suffice.

Based on the input, I'll probably end up with a "big buddy" heater like I had borrowed recently. It was pretty good about staying lit in the wind. We could even travel at 35 mph with it lit if it was turned backwards just right! Thanks for all the replies!
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:49 am

Sideburns wrote:Based on the input, I'll probably end up with a "big buddy" heater like I had borrowed recently. It was pretty good about staying lit in the wind. We could even travel at 35 mph with it lit if it was turned backwards just right! Thanks for all the replies!
For safety concerns, I shut my heater off when running at speed. Once less thing to keep me from averting my attention from what is in front of me when I'm on plane.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:26 am

Sideburns wrote:The canvas is so much more expensive than propane though.... This darned lund 1600 angler (deep vee aluminum 60hp outboard) has a single sided windscreen (driver has to tuck behind it to get shielded from wind at speed). any kind of enclosure plan at all first has to deal with the lacking windshield..... and to add to that, the boat also has deceptively low sides. Some day I'll either find a junk boat to salvage the windshield and dash, etc.. from or upgrade boats. Until then, radiant heat will suffice.

Based on the input, I'll probably end up with a "big buddy" heater like I had borrowed recently. It was pretty good about staying lit in the wind. We could even travel at 35 mph with it lit if it was turned backwards just right! Thanks for all the replies!
Didn't know you were trying to heat the outdoors. [tongue]

In your case, I'd get another tank top heater. An adjustable double element unit (10k - 30kbtu) is under $100 at HD.

I always shut our heater off when moving, heat gets sucked out anyway and the tip over shut off is so sensitive it will frequently trip in choppy water.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount