I'm feeling crabby....

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Matt
Admiral

I'm feeling crabby....

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:17 am

A little birdie has informed me that pre-season tests indicate Dungeness numbers and size are both on par with what we saw in 2015. Better get your danielson traps and chicken legs ready. It's gunna be another fun one!

DavidA
Lieutenant

Re: I'm feeling crabby....

Post by DavidA » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:33 am

I'm there! I just need to spruce up my marker floats and pick up some chicken! Good luck!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:51 am

The weekend of the 4th I'll be gorging on crabs on Camano. I may dig some Horsey's first, the only thing better than legs.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:39 am

I've got to go through all the crap and figure out what's servicable. Is Jay coming up this year Matt?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:12 am

He's been kind of running on his own schedule. We're always up there over the 4th. Usually for a few weeks but this year we have too many things happening. You're more than welcome to come by for a cold one and we can run pots out. If you can get him in a head lock, he's always welcome too. I'm not sure what they're up to. Just go straight under the freeway and turn right at the lumber yard. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you details.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:30 pm

Might be able to ON the 4th but I'm having a crab feed of my own on the 3rd here. So we'll be crabbing Fri and Sat to get the needed groceries. I'm planning to crab in 8-1 out of Coronet with hopes of running out DP to go look for Nookie in A7...... Assuming we are green lighted by NOAA by then.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:44 pm

I'll be up the 30th to start the soak. I just put the pots out front where I can keep an eye on them. 30th will probably be a clam dig getting those big horseys to crack. Not sure if I'll have then out then but I'll be ready, they usually open the Thursday before. Not too much trolling for me, I suppose if the run was right I could put my self between Deception and the Skagit and Stilly, Usually too lazy when I have more crab than I can eat. Lots of sea runs go up and down the beach, I think this year is going to be the year of the fly.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 pm

:) I'm leaving tomorrow for the island. Be up there till Tuesday. I feel a belly ache for eating too much crab.....

Matt, if you're up on the north end of the island, shoot me a text and stop by. Jay might stop by on Sat after hitting the Skagit.

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:30 am

They said numbers should be up again for 2017 but so far, it's been pretty slow. Anyone here crab the north MA 8-2 area? Any updates would be appreciated. Thank you. [cool]

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:44 am

I have yet to see any really good reports from anywhere. People are getting excited when they get two or three keepers and a few legal red rocks.

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:41 am

Thanks Larry for the input. Harvest reports do seem few and far between. I hope the state didn't hype an anticipated harvest to boost license and permit sales. The collective costs of an outing is increasingly excessive. Even a trip to the pier means an additional day use fee. The day amounted to a few non-keepers, overall a slow day of empty combat crabbing. The scenery is nice though.
--------------------
Larry3215 wrote:I have yet to see any really good reports from anywhere. People are getting excited when they get two or three keepers and a few legal red rocks.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:22 pm

might consider a trip to port angeles. My folks were in a boat, but brought home a ridiculous amount of crab.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Sideburns wrote:might consider a trip to port angeles. My folks were in a boat, but brought home a ridiculous amount of crab.
As long as you are not crabbing in the harbor. Crab taken inside are potentially somewhat toxic....

Puget Sound Seafood Eating Advice - Marine Area 6

If you eat the recommended amount of servings per week or month, don't eat any additional fish, shellfish, or crab that week from Puget Sound or the grocery store.

Example: If you eat one serving of Chinook Salmon, no other seafood should be eaten that week.
Location Specific Advice

Port Angeles Harbor:
Do not eat more than four servings of crab meat per month (one serving per week).
Do not eat any crab hepatopancreas (crab butter).
Do not eat shellfish (all varieties of oysters, clams, mussels, and scallops). There is a permanent closure due to sanitary conditions. Check our shellfish safety website for closures.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvir ... arineArea6