Crayfishing?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
branweeds
Warrant Officer

Crayfishing?

Post by branweeds » Sun May 14, 2017 6:55 am

I have been contemplating trying to catch some crayfish to use as live bait for smallmouth, but have never done it before. I want to cook a few up as well. I know only to keep the invasive species, as I don't intend on harming the population of native ones. Is it much harder than baiting a crayfish trap I got off amazon? I do have a good creek in mind in Whatcom county, but does anyone have a personal preference on lake vs streams? Any overall good luck on any lakes around here? Is it a little early in the season for them still? Any tips, advice, comments, or criticism appreciated [biggrin]

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Re: Crayfishing?

Post by Onmygame » Wed May 17, 2017 12:03 am

I recommend that you study all rules pertaining to use of Live Bait in freshwater.

I recall that catching bait in one body of water to be used in another is an absolute no no.

There are other rules I'm sure that you should look into so as to not find yourself at the paying end of a fine, or as the responsible party for messing up an entire eco-system.

The best of luck

onmygame

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Crayfishing?

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Pretty much, live bait in WA is a No No
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!