3 months home confinement - not enough time...

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

3 months home confinement - not enough time...

Post by Amx » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 pm

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
December 11, 2017
Westport crabber sentenced for stealing commercial pots
OLYMPIA – A Grays Harbor County judge has sentenced a commercial crab fisherman to 90 days of electronic home monitoring and fined him $5,000 for stealing crab pots offshore of Westport, concluding a case that began with an investigation last year by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).
Larrin Brietsprecher, 57, of Westport, was sentenced Dec. 1 by Grays Harbor County Superior Court Judge Mark McCauley after a jury found him guilty of possessing stolen property and related charges. Beginning May 1, Brietsprecher will be required to remain at home for three months unless he requires medical attention.
WDFW Police Captain Dan Chadwick said the department began its investigation after a deckhand on Brietsprecher's crab boat told officers that his boss directed him to steal crab pots while fishing near Westport.
After obtaining a search warrant, police officers from WDFW and the Quinault Indian Nation seized 32 commercial crab pots from Brietsprecher's gear stack at the Port of Westport and determined that at least 24 of them belonged to other crabbers, Chadwick said.
"A commercial crab pot fully rigged can run $200 to $250, so the loss of multiple pots can really add up," he said. "We appreciate that the Grays Harbor prosecutor's office pursued this case, because it demonstrates that the law extends to ocean waters." Chadwick said the department also appreciated the assistance of the Quinault tribal police.
WDFW currently licenses 223 coastal crab vessels, which landed 16.4 million pounds of Dungeness crab with a dockside value of $52 million during the 2016-17 season.
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: 3 months home confinement - not enough time...

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Yeah, if I had 3 months to stay at home. I can only think about how much I could get accomplished in my life.
Maybe if he swings it right, his boat can still go out and make money, and he can turn it into a stay-cation. :-"

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:26 pm

definitely too easy of a sentence. how many crab did he illegally harvest in those pots as he stole them? he should've lost the vessel he used to commit the thefts on top of a loss of his commercial license.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:19 am

I'm so sick of the increase in gear pirates and decrease in adequately prosecuting them. It costs victims far MORE than the cost of a lost pot (time, gas, traffic, shopping crowds etc) to replace lost gear. To minimize theft, I attach water activated blue and white LED lights on flagged crab buoy sticks. For the past couple years I make and sell them. It's also important to have binocs on board to keep an eye on your gear or to write down or call in a boat number if someone approaches your gear. [cool]
Bobber_Dogger

Outdoor Gal
Petty Officer

Post by Outdoor Gal » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:40 am

I realize this is an old thread but a commercial crab fisherman gets a slap on the wrist of 3 months home confinement. The rest of us have endured a year and a half of restrictions and home confinement due to the pandemic. Fish and game violators should PERMANENTLY lose their privileges, especially commercial violators. How many others here haven't fished or crabbed yet this year? Tight lines and fins up.

Amx wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 pm
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
December 11, 2017
Westport crabber sentenced for stealing commercial pots
OLYMPIA – A Grays Harbor County judge has sentenced a commercial crab fisherman to 90 days of electronic home monitoring and fined him $5,000 for stealing crab pots offshore of Westport, concluding a case that began with an investigation last year by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).
Larrin Brietsprecher, 57, of Westport, was sentenced Dec. 1 by Grays Harbor County Superior Court Judge Mark McCauley after a jury found him guilty of possessing stolen property and related charges. Beginning May 1, Brietsprecher will be required to remain at home for three months unless he requires medical attention.
WDFW Police Captain Dan Chadwick said the department began its investigation after a deckhand on Brietsprecher's crab boat told officers that his boss directed him to steal crab pots while fishing near Westport.
After obtaining a search warrant, police officers from WDFW and the Quinault Indian Nation seized 32 commercial crab pots from Brietsprecher's gear stack at the Port of Westport and determined that at least 24 of them belonged to other crabbers, Chadwick said.
"A commercial crab pot fully rigged can run $200 to $250, so the loss of multiple pots can really add up," he said. "We appreciate that the Grays Harbor prosecutor's office pursued this case, because it demonstrates that the law extends to ocean waters." Chadwick said the department also appreciated the assistance of the Quinault tribal police.
WDFW currently licenses 223 coastal crab vessels, which landed 16.4 million pounds of Dungeness crab with a dockside value of $52 million during the 2016-17 season.