Help, I pilot or I pilot link

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
juggalo
Petty Officer

Help, I pilot or I pilot link

Post by juggalo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:41 am

I'm about to finally pull the trigger on a new Terrova and I'm trying to decide weather or not to pay the extra $700 for I pilot link. The new model with touch screen remote makes me wonder if the few features the link offers are necessary. Plz anyone with an opinion and or experience with this chime in. If I'm just going to be disappointed I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Re: Help, I pilot or I pilot link

Post by cobrar543 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:00 am

I am on my second I pilot and woudnt remember how to fish without them. Set your course and speed and push the ole mighty N button and its stays on that track at that speed. I will increase or Decrease RPM to keep your speed constant. I have round that lowering the main motor in the back keeps it on track better by acting as a sock or rudder to keep the rear from swinging in the heavy winds. The self deply and stoy is my next purchase as soon as I can con my wife into letting me. But might be a year or many so until then LOL

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:41 pm

I have ipilot link. I never use "follow the contour". I do use the "go to mark" feature. My advice is that the few features that ipilot "link" gives you are not worth it. Put the money into a larger power rating, and not the "Link" All of the cool features that I regularly use, Ive realized that a plane old ipilot unit would do just fine.

Ive had the setup for a year, and am learning to use more advanced features slowly though.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks sideburns I was thinking that might be the case. The goto feature may be cool but not for the money

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Also the follow the conture feature I would use a lot if it works but I'm not clear if it keeps you at a set depth or if it follows the maps chip. Most of the lakes I fish are not covered by my navionics chip. Do I have to get a lake master chip. So many questions.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:29 pm

The "follow the contour" feature turns so sharply left to right and backwards, trying to follow the exact depth it is set to, that it impossible to troll with it. Might be more useful for bass though. This feature also requires that you purchase 100 dollar lakemaster software that I didn't use at all. Navionics maps are much better.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Follow the contour uses the lakemaster charts, not the sonar.

tbrinks
Warrant Officer

Post by tbrinks » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:28 pm

juggalo wrote:Also the follow the conture feature I would use a lot if it works but I'm not clear if it keeps you at a set depth or if it follows the maps chip. Most of the lakes I fish are not covered by my navionics chip. Do I have to get a lake master chip. So many questions.
What lakes are you finding that are not covered by your Navionics chip? I know in our region (really the whole country) Navionics has by far the most lakes. Check out the WebApp at navionics.com and you can see all the coverage.
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:25 pm

If you are shopping for a new Terrova and want the new Improved Spot Lock, then you have to buy the version with the built in US2 sonar and BlueTooth.

For some stupid reason, they wont give you the Improved version unless you also pay for the stupid sonar on the motor.

I dont think it matters which I-Pilot you get.

I was really ticked off when I found that out. I have zero use for a crappy transducer that only works with Humminbird MFD's.
I would be even more ticked off if my brand new Terrova had the old Spot Lock. The old Spot Lock sucked compared to the new version.

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks for the feed back and info. I went ahead and got the new blue tooth Terrova w/I pilot link. Got a new lake master +plus and all the accessories to hook it up to my humminbird 899ci hd. Man I've put some money into all this and it better be impressive when I finally get it on the water.

Fingers crossed

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Larry3215, I'll be using the humminbird 598ci hd i bought from you with the built in US2 transducer and keep the navionics chip in it while running my 899ci on the hd transom mount transducer I also got from you. I'll run the I pilot link to my 899 and use the lake master chip. As long as the 2 transducers don't interfere with each other I should be set pretty well.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Sounds like a good combination!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Im real curious to know how well the new improved spot lock feature works.

The spot lock on my 2 yr old Powerdrive V2 only holds within about a 20-30ft circle depending on wind. The new version is supposed to hold within 3 or 4 feet.

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:28 pm

I watched some videos showing the spot lock hold pretty tight in some wind and current and looks impressive I'm probably setting myself up for a let down but am hopeful. Seems there's some technique to setting the spot lock successfully.

Noodle Caboodle
Petty Officer

Post by Noodle Caboodle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:55 pm

This last fall i pulled up to the bottom of a line of anchored boats in pretty good current. After a little the boat above me left. A sled came in, set his spot lock and proceeded to hang there. At first he moved around a bit to much but once it was actually set it was pretty slick. He was there until i left, no anchor or adjustments. Just sitting on the minn kota, pretty cool.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:25 pm

20-30ft acuracy would suck... are you saying that your 20-30ft is a constant problem, or does it move 20ft, then home in and stay more acurately positioned? My boat may move 20ft, if im moving when i hit the anchor button.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:20 pm

It moves all the time. 20 ft is the best it ever does in mild conditions and 30 or more in bad wind.

Only the newest version of Minn Kota have the "new Improved" spot lock.

For terrova's, they have to have blutooth. Unfortunately, with the regular Terrova's, that means you also have to have the stupid builtin transducer. Other wise, you get the old spot lock.

The Riptide Terrova comes with the improved spot lock if you get it with the I-Pilot built in. No transdcer.

Turns out you can get the saltwater Riptide version for less then the fresh water Terrova - if you want improved spot lock.

I dont know for sure on other models, but they need to have the blutooth ot no improved spot lock.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:21 pm

The older version works pretty well IF there is a steady current and little to no wind or if the wind never varries. Under normal conditions - you're all over the place.