Side planer boards?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Larry3215
Admiral

Side planer boards?

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Ive been casually wondering about planer boards for a while. Until recently, there were not many reports of guys using them around here. They seem to be mostly a midwest/eastern thing. Ive seen a few reports of guys using them for kokanee on Merwin and walleye on Moses, but thats about it.

I wasnt all that interested in them at first. I figured they were probably gong to be more trouble than they were worth. Then, I started using my Panoptix sonar to look out ahead of the boat and I began to notice that fish actually do move off to the side and dive to the bottom as the boat gets close - even when running with an electric trolling motor!

I first noticed this on Spencer trolling for trout. I would see one ot two trout in front of the boat and they would swim off to one side or the other as we got close. Then again on American Lake, I spotted a very large school of something and we chased it for a good 10 minutes and couldn't catch it! Every time we got close they would all move away. Then a few weeks ago we were on Moses and I saw the same thing. We would approach some good looking fish targets and they would either dive to the bottom or move off to the side - or both - just before we got to them. This happened over and over with the gas kicker and the electric trolling motor - all day long. We could get closer with the electric motor, but they still moved off before we were within 20-30 ft of them.

So, this has me re-thinking the use of planer boards. Whats your guys experience with them trolling for walleye and kokanee? How much trouble are they to use? What size and brands do you recommend? Tips and tricks?

Ive watched a few videos, but they all seem to be back east or on the Great Lakes and they do things differently than we do - especially for walleye.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Side planer boards?

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Welcome to the newest innovation to be taking WA by storm (well, slowly but surely).

Interesting your sonar observations. I can say that planer boards work great on few different levels, not just what you mentioned but also to allow more lures in the water and reduce tangled messes. I can run six rods with no issues now. For kokanee and trout once you get the hang of them they work great. Walleye, too, if you're running shad raps it's a great technique.

We have several videos that feature planer boards. One for walleye with Shelby Ross, and another more recent one with Capt. Dave on the Columbia for kokanee. Heck, a couple years ago I used one on the Duwamish for coho and it caught most of our fish!

I'm sold and once you figure them out they are not that much of a hassle to use. No worse than learning downriggers. Just another tool in the toolbox.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:26 pm

And when Mike was on my boat he used one or two on Alder with higher success than the downriggers. I got one. But I have barely used it because I stand at the back of the boat looking forward. Planers are out to the side and behind. If there are a lot of boats they will run over it or you have to keep bringing it in. If there are waves it is hard to see bites/board.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 pm

Mike - what brand and size do you like for kokanee and walleye? I know they come in different sizes and left/right.

Toni - that was one of my concerns. In a crowded fishery they could be trouble. How are they for turning maneuvering? Im assuming you cant turn very sharp at all?

After watching the fish move away from the boat, I can believe they would catch more fish. Id guess at least 90% of the fish move, so you're bound to catch more if your bait is where they ARE instead of where they were...

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Larry3215 wrote:Mike - what brand and size do you like for kokanee and walleye? I know they come in different sizes and left/right.

Toni - that was one of my concerns. In a crowded fishery they could be trouble. How are they for turning maneuvering? Im assuming you cant turn very sharp at all?
Maybe a little wider than downriggers. I can't turn sharp with 100 foot or more of line out hooked to the downriggers
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Thats not as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:26 am

I have Opti Tackle, I believe they are 9" boards, one left and one right. I like the Opti boards because they come complete with flag and spring. The Offshore brand has a fixed flag, you have to buy a spring assembly from them. Lame.

Yes, in a crowded fishery you're going to have issues. If you put them out a country mile you're going to have more issues. I run them out 50-75 feet depending on conditions. That's plenty far to get them away from the boat and other gear.

Turning does require a slower, wider turn. These issues all come with the territory, just like downriggers have issues. Or longlining - you wouldn't make a sharp turn if you were longlining, right?

Like any tool it requires learning and adaptation. The rewards are well worth it.

On a "my opinion" note, with the growing use of planer boards anglers are going to develop rules of etiquette. If you're fishing around a lot of boats and run your boards out 75 feet you're going to get some angry looks and comments. We all will have to learn to fish properly with boards, again, just like we have with downriggers. You would never cut close behind a boat with riggers, right? Hopefully if running boards in a crowd you'd either put them away or keep them close to the boat.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:56 am

I used to use a side planer back in the '80s - a 'Pink Lady' methinks, while bank fishing on rivers. Used it to pull a Hot Shot diver out into the desired current. Not a bad way to pull a plug without the luxury of a drift boat or sled.

I hadn't considered using one (or more) while trolling for kokes until this thread, and am wondering if there is anything on the market that both side planes and dives at the same time? I'm guessing that something adjustable would be the thing if available.

onmygame

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:17 am

Some dodgers and divers have different attachment spots to make them pull to the side, but they dont go very far. Maybe 10 ft or so? Havent used one is years.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:24 am

I made my own using the standard sized template you can find doing a search on the internet. ie http://www.quintefishing.com/make_your_ ... boards.htm Easy to make and you can scale them down if you really feel the need. I run the board out using my downrigger as a "mast". I would also suggest using mini Scotty or Off-Shore releases and snap weights when using a planer board. I find the only drawback using them is pleasure boaters, who feel the need to buzz fishermen or are, in general, oblivious to anyone else on the water. Once the fair weather boaters are out, the planer boards stay at home.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 pm

I have been using one for a couple of years now, but like many, originally saw much awkwardness to them. If you are considering giving one a shot, you may want to at least have a look at a SideWinder planer board (short YouTube video). Their design is quite different and eliminates 2 concerns I had with the standard design: 1. You need only a single board, regardless of which side you intend to fish from, and; 2. Once you've hooked a fish, you needn't bring in the board and detach it, before continuing to play the fish. Also, I've noticed a modification showing up recently, that replaces the small line-holding pad, with something akin to a downrigger clip. Though not perfect, I like this design.
I am not in anyway affiliated with the maker of this product.

eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:57 pm

I also built my own and use the downriggers for a mast. We use shower curtain hooks with mini clips to get our lines attached to the cable. I have a bunch of clips so no need to pull in the boards after catching a fish. Just hook another shower curtain hook with line clipped into the release and send it out the line. We have used them in Moses and Potholes for walleye. Lake Roosevelt we have used them for kokes and rainbows. Very easy to use and really spreads out your offering.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:45 pm

eat-sleep-fish wrote:I also built my own and use the downriggers for a mast. We use shower curtain hooks with mini clips to get our lines attached to the cable. I have a bunch of clips so no need to pull in the boards after catching a fish. Just hook another shower curtain hook with line clipped into the release and send it out the line. We have used them in Moses and Potholes for walleye. Lake Roosevelt we have used them for kokes and rainbows. Very easy to use and really spreads out your offering.
[thumbsup] Thanks for mentioning that, I forgot to include those little tidbits.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 pm

You guys are giving me ideas..... :)

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:17 am

The shower curtain clips are a great idea that allow the lines to stay in the water longer. I may need to look into the larger planer boards that use retrieval systems.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:57 am

One other note. Instead of using an eye bolt for attaching your line to the planer board, you can use a length of chain that is run horizontally and attached on each end to the board. This allows you to select how close to the front of the board to attach your line, imparting more or less of a bobbing action as the board moves through the water. More bobbing=more lure action.
PlanerBoards_zps428ebc50.jpg

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:09 am

Those look slick and thats a great idea for the chain!

But - wouldnt that also change how hard it pulls to the side and how far out it goes? I would expect more forward positions to let the board ride further back and closer to the boat and more rearward positions to force it out further to the side and more forward - also pulling harder?

Im gathering parts to build one similar to the SideWinder......

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:15 am

It does effect position of the board a bit, but speed has more of an effect on position and pull.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:49 pm

Got the main parts gathered for a prototype test board. Ive even got some ideas on how to rig a flag that will go down with a strike.....
0608171730_HDR.jpg

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 pm

1ea two gallon bucket I didnt need any more, a scrap of redwood 1x4, a few screws, one down rigger release and an odd ball clip that was in the bottom of the tackle box and its all done. Total time about 30 minutes. Most of that to cut the bucket up and trim the piece.

My fin may be a bit large, but it passes the bathtub test, so I think it will work. I was going to make it reversible, but it was faster to just make this one starboard side only for testing. If it works ok, I may take the time on the next one to make a reversible bill on the front so it will work port or starboard just like the Sidewinder does. On the other hand, this builds so fast, I may just make the next one starboard only and be done.

The plan with this one is to use an old halibut rod and reel I have for my rock fish descender as a pylon and run some 80# braid to hold the board on a dedicated line. Then I will attach the fishing line to the down rigger release on the back. That way when a fish takes it the planer board is not on the line.

I couldnt find any chain suitable or anything else that looked like it would work as well, so I will just have to remove two screws to change the attachment point if it needs adjustment. Not as easy as the chain but still no big deal as it should only take a few trials to dial in a good location.
Attachments
0608172035a.jpg
0608172035.jpg
Last edited by Larry3215 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.