Headed to Flordia Keys/everglades in March

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
drysuperfly52
Commander

Headed to Flordia Keys/everglades in March

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:46 pm

I am headed to Florida in a few month and plan on getting some fishing time in. I plan to charter a fly fishing trip for bone fish (bucket list item!!) but beyond that I don’t have a clue on fishing on my own. The few things I have read tell say don’t go off the trail in everglades, gators and snakes, and they keys seem pretty intimidating know I have never fished anything like it before. so if you have been there, what should I be looking for, any tips will be greatly appreciated.

I do hope to find a few of those snakeheads from river monsters but I don’t know how productive that will be, or if they are even in that area of Florida.

Thanks
drysuperfly
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

kzoo
Commodore

Re: Headed to Flordia Keys/everglades in March

Post by kzoo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:25 pm

I went years ago, you can rent boats with small outboards at the Everglades. We caught bass there, they also have oscars.

Islmarada has a charter boats for a few hours to catch bottom fish. It's fun, but don't expect to catch something substantial.

liavincent
Angler

Re: Headed to Flordia Keys/everglades in March

Post by liavincent » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 am

I know this is more of a guided trip, but on our last trip to Florida we used Top Gun Charters for offshore fishing. It was right off the coast of Miami. We set out for a morning bait run, caught a few little fish to feed the big ones later. They said mahi-mahi, sharks, tuna, and more are popular catches in the area. We caught a few mahi-mahi. The Atlantic waters were pretty calm for us and we had a good time.

-Chris Oklahoma City Travel Agency