Puget Sound salmon season

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jd39
Commander

Re: Puget Sound salmon season

Post by jd39 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:53 am

Looking for a little feedback/advice on puget sound ramps as I'd like to start fishing the sound this season. My top concern is that I have stock 2 wheel, rear wheel drive truck. I'll be using the Shilshole and West Seattle launches mainly. I had heard that the launches can have traction issues due to algae/seaweed growth and sometimes need 4 wheel drive to maintain traction. Stopped by West Seattle at high tide and it looked fine (still noticed almost all the launch vehicles were 4 wheel), will have to stop by at low tide. I plan on visiting Shilshole as well. Curious what your collective thoughts are on this?

Should I be concerned or did I get bad info and the ramps are fine with normal traction?
Do any of you launch with 2 wheel / rear wheel drive?

Never has any problems with fresh water ramps but salt's a different animal altogether is what I have had heard.
I'll eventually put high traction tires on the truck or just trade it up to a 4 wheel drive but that probably wont happen this season.

Thanks for any help and advice!

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:30 pm

I've always launched at Everett. But I've gone out with my buddy and we launched at Shilshole and no problems, other than crowded and not many lights so pretty dark before sunrise. He launches there all the time and has no problems. He just has a 2 wheel drive van.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Shilshole is protected by a break water so no sand on the launch but slime on any saltwater ramp can be a problem. Until you get a 4x4 add some weight above the rear wheels for added traction, and easy on the power coming up the ramp.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Jd39 - you don't mention the size of your boat, or if glass / wood / aluminum. If not too large or heavy, a 2WD should be fine.

Ramps can be a challenge for any rig depending on tide, algae and incline.

Just be sure to use a lower gear pulling out, and pay attention to the tides as well as know your ramp's lowest tide point for normal boat loading.

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:51 am

Thanks BARCHASER, I’ll probably go to Shileshole a little later then when they’ll be light my first time. Probably risking parking but rather be able to see well in an unfamiliar place, work/day got away from me yesterday and couldn’t go check it out.

Good suggestion Trophy! Will throw some weight in the back! I always forget that for some reason, appreciate the reminder.

Hi onmygame, it’s a 16’ smoker craft pro tracer, probably 1,000-1,500 lbs boat, motor, trailer...etc...being launched by a f150. Will try low gear as well!

Thanks again, appreciate your help! Hope to see you all out there tomorrow!

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Made it out yesterday no problems. Had 4-5 bites, 3 solid hookups but no fish in the boat, lost one right at the side, oh well. Looked like a ~3lb resident. Released 3 shakers. Saw a few harbor seals and some porpoises, had a great time out! Really liked fishing out there especially with the conditions.

Fished right outside Shilshole around the green can from ~6:30-11:30, from 40’ early down to 90’ later in the morning, most bites came between 60-80’. One solid bite and hookup on a hootchie with herring strip, rest on cutt plugs, no love for the white/black OG2 for me.

Hope to be back out soon! Thanks again!

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:25 pm

When the ocean fish show up, further out is usually better. Keep a fast troll, usually 3mph or better.

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Im gonna give it a go tomorrow morning. 530-11 probably. Launching at shilshole and gonna fish the 10/9 boundary. I want to get everything dialed in before the push comes in. Thanks all you guys for the pointers and info, ill post a report good or bad.

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:04 am

Fished sunday from 730-1130. Had two good bites that popped the clip but didnt stick first thing. Pretty slow after that, just shakers. Saw a few netted. Talked to fish checker, said Sunday wasn’t great but Saturday alot of fish got checked in. Still just the smaller 4-5lbers, a few bigger ones mixed in. Hope to get out twice next weekend

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:06 am

Thank you for the report. In my experience, its still early. In my fishing records over the last 10 years, the earliest I ever got ocean Silvers in Puget Sound was Sept 2nd. For me its usually the first week of Sept.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:18 pm

My friend Terry and I fished 10 around Edmonds today in my boat and we got 3, two 6-7 pounds prob ocean fish and one 4 pounds that was local. Our bite was between 9 and 10AM. About 40 boats on the water between Edmonds and the oil docks. Seems to be some ocean fish trickling in.

Still pretty early.

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:30 pm

The Silvers are there but not in any numbers yet. Today I went out with my friend Terry. We started out in 10 around 6:30 but it was dead. So about 8 we ran up to the Shipwreck. I got a nice 8 pound male (on the scale) 5 minutes after we got there. Fished another 2 1/2 hours and didnt get another strike or see a net. So around 11 we ran back to 10 and got one about 6 pounds at noon and that was it. No other strikes.

Its early. But even having fishable numbers this early is a good sign. In my fish records over the last 10 years the earliest I ever got an ocean Silver was Sept 4th and usually its more like the 6th or 7th.. When I put my boat back in the Edmonds dry stack the guy said he only saw two other fish for 10-12 boats. So we were lucky.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:57 pm

just posted a nice Area 10 report, definitely ocean run fish and looking good. Fingers crossed for another great season!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:21 am

Hey Mike, I don't see the report..... Did you send it snail mail?

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:49 am

Ill be out there tomorrow in the edmonds/oil dock/shilshole area. Good to see some big salters showing up.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:52 am

retired11 wrote:Hey Mike, I don't see the report..... Did you send it snail mail?
it's posted on the web site under Latest Reports.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:39 am

I'm not seeing it either Mike.

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:36 am

Mike must have blocked me..... Still not seeing it.....

HammerinHonkers
Petty Officer

Post by HammerinHonkers » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Its not his personal report, just an A10 report with a couple good sized coho

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:41 pm

retired11 wrote:Mike must have blocked me..... Still not seeing it.....
this is not Facebook! 8-[

As noted, it's not a personal report, see a web site report under latest reports. [thumbup]