Crabbing off Westport Jetty

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tnadeau
Angler

Crabbing off Westport Jetty

Post by tnadeau » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:37 am

Hello!

I am wanting to go to Westport to go crabbing off of the jetty. My concern is not knowing the underwater topography there. Sandy bottom? Rocky? If sandy, how far from the jetty does it turn to sand. I will be using a butterfly trap and possibly a snare to go after some Dungeness. Any information is appreciated.

NWBoater45
Petty Officer

Re: Crabbing off Westport Jetty

Post by NWBoater45 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:56 pm

I have tried that with the butterfly trap off the jetty and it is a pain in the a$$. Why not look at one of the finger jetty's near the marina? I had better success off the walkway at the Marina entry (on the bay side of course). While the marina gets hit hard with crabbers there is always a fresh supply that come in with the tides.