Salmon Tackle Box

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Re: Salmon Tackle Box

Post by bottombarrel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:11 am

I plan on attending the Chinook Seminar put on by Johns sporting Goods in Everett on March 15th at 7pm. I am hoping to learn some new tips for the remainder of whatever season we have left after that and hoping to get geared up for the springers and summer season.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:23 am

Speaking of Johns, I've been shopping there since the early 90's, maybe the 80's, whatever, anyway I've spent a fair amount of $ there.. He has a monthly newsletter that is useful. If you aren't already, prob good to get on his email list. Somewhere on his website there is a list of past monthly newsletters you can access. He used to list them by topic, but the last time I was on his website, the list is now by date which isn't as useful.

https://johnssportinggoods.com/wp-conte ... letter.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Awesome thank you BARCHASER. I am on his email list but just recently joined I wasn't aware you could look at past ones which is awesome, thanks!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Next time I go in there I should ask him maybe list them by topic like he used to. There has been once or twice I wanted to go back and see one on a certain topic but too much of a hassle.

https://johnssportinggoods.com/newsletters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:37 am

Does anyone use plugs and if so what amount of success do you have? is there any issues or downfalls with using a plug and any key times you like to use them?

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:55 am

bottombarrel wrote:Does anyone use plugs and if so what amount of success do you have? is there any issues or downfalls with using a plug and any key times you like to use them?
In the rivers yes plugs can be deadly

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 am

I used plugs for Chinook over the last year with great success. And another benefit is no sub legal fish. :cheers:

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Use in the salt. I have prob couple dozen Tomic plugs. I bought them in Ucluelet back in the 90's when the Can buck was so cheap you could buy Tomics for 3-4 US bucks each. Pretty spendy now. Also use Silver Hordes. Troll Tomics fast 3-4mph with the line 30-40 feet back from the DR release, the Tomics like to roam around. Silver Hordes slower and not so far back.

When I use Tomics seems like the fish either hit them right away or just aren't interested at all and back to flashers. the 5 inch kind usually.

http://tomiclure.com/lures/classics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:15 am

Ok so i have picked up some Gibbs flashers, Coyote 3.0 flashers, kingfisher and coho killer spoons, a multitude of 4.5" UV and glow hoochies with twinkle skirts, Some Shasta tackle slingblades, Tomic plugs, a dozen Ace hi-flys, about 200 Gamakatsu and Mustad 3/0 4/0 and 5/0 hooks, a dozen Big Al's 10' inline flashers, 30lb fluorocarbon for leaders, 50lb mono and braid, 3 new 9' medium trolling rods with line counter okuma cold water reels, and about 15 bottles of anise, shrimp, and bloody tuna pro cure scent.

I really appreciate all the help I have gotten from everyone. So... anything else you'd suggest? Am I off to a good start?

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:59 am

Herring strips. I like big, black or purple herring, let them defrost a little but not all the way, they cut easier when they are still somewhat frozen. Fillet, cut into strips with a scissors, I like fairly long strips, about as long as your little finger, triangle shape, after you cut the strips put them in a pile and mix in some of that smelly. Layer them into a plastic container, I like the ones about 6" long and 3" wide you get at Safeways. Layer of strips, layer of rock salt etc. Let sit overnt and then drain off the liquid, there will be a lot, be sure to drain completely or it will freeze into a mess. Just take out the container when you go. Leftover strips just toss back into the freezer. Put on the upper hook of your squids or Ace High. Don't use on the spoons obviously.

How is your downrigger rigged, release etc?

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:24 pm

I have some of the scotty 1095's. I know they are manual but its all I can convince the wife to allow for now. I just bought all the basic clips snubbers and stuff recommended by Johns in everett

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:20 am

Johns is good. I had hand crank Penns from 1980 to 2005. When I got into my 60's I got too old to crank and went electric with Scottys. Come to think of it I still have the Penns, I should sell them. If you bought the releases and stuff at Johns you should be good to go. I like using a rudder, it keeps the line from looping back around the cable. Make the release line pretty long, 4 feet or so. Good luck, hope they give us a decent local season and the salmon runs are also decent.

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Yeah I keep hearing that most people only run them for a year or two and then switch to electric. Hopefully one day I will have a boat that is worth putting electric ones on. Still trying to convince the wife that a 24'er is gonna be good for the whole family. She isn't buying it just yet.

I was told by a friend that running brad plugs work really well in the spring and summer. Is this common to use in the sound because if it is I have yet to see anyone with them. Who knows maybe there's some secret weapons I need to earn the knowledge of knowing about. Ha. I am really wanting to do a lot of fishing this spring and summer but it seems like most days the last month are a little too rough for my boat. Hoping for good weather soon.

I know it's not tackle related but does anyone do any fishing outside of Blaine or birchbay? Ive been looking on navionics for different places and some shelfs that might hold fish but I can't seem to find anyone with knowledge of fishing north of the lummi island cut off. I hear guys bank fish for Coho but I am more interested in Chinook. Any advice on if this area is worth trying?

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:51 pm

I haven't fished that far north. Back in the 80's I had an 18' GlasPly that I used to keep at a boathouse on Guemmes Channel in Anacortes. I used to fish Pt Lawrence and around Cypress Island for Blackmouth and summer Chinooks a lot. Those spots were good back then. Johns newsletters has a lot of maps of that area. I haven't fished it that much in the last few years. But I have a bud who lives in Mt. Vernon and I fished with him there few times last few years and we got fish. You can launch at Washington Park near Anacortes or Bellingham Bay I think. Eagle Bluff, Black Rock, Thatcher Pass, Tide Pt, etc, just look for the boats. Strong currents, rocky bottom, in the 80's I left lots of downrigger balls there watch your depth.

I have fished Brads in the Willamette and Columbia with friends who live in Portland for springers and even URBs. Never in the sound. In the rivers we fish Brads slow 1.5 mph or so. But in the sound and strait cause you need to cover more water and contend with wind and strong tide current so its more like 2.5 to 3 mph. I dont know if the Brads cut plug type lure will fish well that fast, maybe. Old age, I just stick with stuff I've used for 30+ years.

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:14 pm

OK, so onto my next question. I have a lowrance hook5 currently but I seem to have issues with locating bait or fish on it. What would you recommend for a smaller boat?

I can't thank you guys enough for all the knowledge I have gained because of your help.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:04 am

bottombarrel wrote:OK, so onto my next question. I have a lowrance hook5 currently but I seem to have issues with locating bait or fish on it. What would you recommend for a smaller boat?

I can't thank you guys enough for all the knowledge I have gained because of your help.
You rarely ever see the fish you catch and with a small boat, the best way to find bait is with the binos. Just look for the birds.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 am

Well I cant thank you all enough. the information I was able to gather and the help from the numerous members here really paid off. I was able to get out for my first trip ever for blackmouth in area 7 on closing day. Turns out the 18' Riverhawk was enough boat to get out to the San Juans on a clear day.

I trolled at 110' in 120 FOW . I used a purple haze flasher with a purple and glow hoochie with twinkle skirt and herring scent. within the first pass in 20 min I landed my first ever legal 25" 6lb Hatchery blackmouth. After a few more passes and a few more hours we had lost a few fish from not realizing that the rod popping off the downrigger clip was not a malfunction but actually a fish. Lesson Learned for next time, If it pops grab and reel like hell.

I look forward to getting out every chance I can but for now it looks like its time to switch gears for Halibut, Lingcod and Spot Prawns.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image3 resized.jpg