Sling Blade

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Sling Blade

Post by bottombarrel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:16 am

So I am just getting in to this whole thing and wanted to know if anyone has success using the 8' shasta tackle sling blade for kings, silvers, or pinks on the salt. I found about 25 of them at wal-mart marked down to $3 a piece so I couldn't resist and I picked up 12 of them in UV pink and UV green. I also was able to pick up 24 Zak Tackle hootchies UV Glow with twinkle skirts and 3,4,and 5/0 hooks all marked down to ridiculous prices. I am mainly concerned about the Sling blades and if many people use these with much success.

I suggest if you are looking for a good deal on Gamakatsu barbless and some odds and ends for fishing to go check out your local wal-mart as they are all marking down stuff right now and putting in to clearance.

salmonkiller
Petty Officer

Re: Sling Blade

Post by salmonkiller » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:18 am

I have used them for sockeye.
Since you have to troll so slow for sockeye you can bend the blade to get more action out of it; this then gives more action to your lure of choice...

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:07 pm

salmonkiller wrote:I have used them for sockeye.
Since you have to troll so slow for sockeye you can bend the blade to get more action out of it; this then gives more action to your lure of choice...
Any experience running them on chinook or coho?

salmonkiller
Petty Officer

Post by salmonkiller » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:45 pm

bottombarrel wrote:
salmonkiller wrote:I have used them for sockeye.
Any experience running them on chinook or coho?
I have not tried them for either... but I'm sure they would work. Just have to find the biting fish.

Good luck.

fishing magician
Petty Officer

Post by fishing magician » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:03 pm

I use the sling blades in the salt every year for chinook and coho with only 10 to 16 inch leaders and do super well them. I actually prefer them over flashers. What I do to get an even better action is put about a 30 degree bend in the last two inches of the dodger and that helps alot also. You can play with the angle to get the action you want too. Hope that helps. Good luck!

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:55 pm

I am wondering if it is by individual stores? I hit the one by me and the clearance area was packed with stuff but no Shasta anything... I was bummed...

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:42 am

TrackerPro16 wrote:I am wondering if it is by individual stores? I hit the one by me and the clearance area was packed with stuff but no Shasta anything... I was bummed...
Ah dang, I have noticed there is different stuff between the bellingham and the mount vernon Wal-mart. definitely some great deals to be had. only down side is that there are people that are buying everything in the clearance area and then reselling it on facebook classifieds pages. so things go fast.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Had to do some running around today so hit the Auburn Wallmart. They had three green Shasta UV Sling Blades in the 'closeout' area! Bought one of them for $3.50 (they were marked down to $5 but came up $3.50 at the register) and three 125 yard 10 lb spools of braid for $4 each. Next stop was Bellevue Wallmart. While they did not have too much in the closeout isle I did pick up some larger hoochie's They also had a WAD of fishing poles in a closeout barrel back by the fishing stuff. All were $9 and the original price was $35+. Most were medium power 7' but there were a couple 5'6" ultra lights. There were also three Ugly Stiks'! I figure at $9 I can let people use them and or give them away without too much heartburn so I picked some up. Not to mention I broke a pole last time out...

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:17 am

I have noticed the same thing last time I was at the local Puyallup Walmart, I picked up some other items for a great price. Now the Mac Lure bought Shasta tackle not sure what is going to happen with there stuff but the when in Cabelas a week ago all the Mac's Lures were bare? I picked up the last 4 lure set ups I needed JIC. Seems like the production or reordering is not happening, noticed this at other stores was my reason of stopping by to find my lucky set up.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 am

TrackerPro16 wrote:Had to do some running around today so hit the Auburn Wallmart. They had three green Shasta UV Sling Blades in the 'closeout' area! Bought one of them for $3.50 (they were marked down to $5 but came up $3.50 at the register) and three 125 yard 10 lb spools of braid for $4 each. Next stop was Bellevue Wallmart. While they did not have too much in the closeout isle I did pick up some larger hoochie's They also had a WAD of fishing poles in a closeout barrel back by the fishing stuff. All were $9 and the original price was $35+. Most were medium power 7' but there were a couple 5'6" ultra lights. There were also three Ugly Stiks'! I figure at $9 I can let people use them and or give them away without too much heartburn so I picked some up. Not to mention I broke a pole last time out...
So do you use the sling blades for Chinook?

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:29 am

Hunter757 wrote:I have noticed the same thing last time I was at the local Puyallup Walmart, I picked up some other items for a great price. Now the Mac Lure bought Shasta tackle not sure what is going to happen with there stuff but the when in Cabelas a week ago all the Mac's Lures were bare? I picked up the last 4 lure set ups I needed JIC. Seems like the production or reordering is not happening, noticed this at other stores was my reason of stopping by to find my lucky set up.
Some stores still have some stuff but it has been pretty picked through. I got about $300 worth of hoochies, dodgers, hooks, and scents for around $40. pretty sweet deal. i normally dont go to wal mart unless I absolutely have to but after seeing some people getting some kokanee gear for next to nothing at my local store I had to check it out, and it was totally worth it.

Now comes the main question. Would you use the sling blade for chinook?

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Yes I would, why not? They work great for Kokanee and also had luck with them for Sockeye. They are an attractant like any other dodger. You have nothing to loose by trying something new.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

bottombarrel
Petty Officer

Post by bottombarrel » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:16 am

I know with different flashers and dodgers you use different leader lengths with hoochies, spoons, plugs, and herring. What would you guys recommend for leader length behind a sling blade?