Small Boat Lingcod

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Benlev
Petty Officer

Small Boat Lingcod

Post by Benlev » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:19 pm

I recently got a smaller boat (16 ft aluminum w/ 60HP motor) and want to get out in the salt for some lingcod and/or rockfish this season. I've only ever fished lingcod off Westport and in "big" water where I wouldn't be able to take my boat. Any suggestions for areas to fish lings or rockfish that are calmer and more protected, that would be better for a 16 ft'er? I live in the Seattle area, but am definitely willing to drive a few hours. I appreciate the help!

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Small Boat Lingcod

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:44 am

Im surprised no one has answered you yet....

There are several places 'inside' where you used to be able to catch lings pretty reliably, although the catching is far less certain these days.

Toliva Shoal is a shallow shoal off the south end of Fox Island marked by a buoy and bell. Roughly 1 mile due south of the south end of Fox Island. Havnt caught one there in the last few years though.

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge - Tacoma side between the support pillars and the shore. Very very snagy due to the old bridge pieces on the bottom. Plan to loose some gear and dont even try it unless its dead slack tide. You have a very narrow time slot that will work, but you have a chance for some lings there.

Near the Tacoma - Vashon ferry terminal on the Tacoma side. If you launch at the boat ramp right near the ferry terminal, as soon as you get outside the launch harbor, there is a steep rocky shore on the right side. Its a very steep drop off to deep water and very rocky. All along that shore line can produce lings - all the way around to the outside shore outside the Yacht club. Do not get in the way of the ferry or you are in trouble. This area produces a few each year.

Elliot Bay Marina - there is a break water all along the marina and the outside edges of that can produce some fish.

Possession Bar - off the south end of Whidbey Island. This is a large shallow bar that can also produce fish - but its more open than some of the other areas. It can get rough if it gets windy.

There are some others, but those are the main ones inside.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:52 am

The key to safely fishing any of those locations is wind. If its going to blow, stay home. Also, the fishing gets better the further north you go, so of those I listed, Possession Bar is your best bet.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:48 am

Has anyone ever tried near the Mukilteo pier for lings? My dad caught a tiny one off of the pier one day when we fished until just after dusk. It was only 8 inches long or so, but may be an indicator that there are some bigger ones nearby. I know that area can be used with smaller boats because there used tro be a shop that rented small aluminum boats with outboards on the water nearby.

Benlev
Petty Officer

Post by Benlev » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll check these spots out (weather depending).

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Just saw this posted - more locations and some techniques, tips, etc.

https://johnssportinggoods.com/wp-conte ... letter.pdf

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Mon May 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Great info Larry. [thumbup]
Just to clear up fish used for bait in the article, rock sole and sand dab are two different species. Both will catch Lings.
Rock sole (left) Sand dab (right).
Slightly different fins, also one looks one way and the other opposite.
Attachments
IMG_0015.JPG

Benlev
Petty Officer

Post by Benlev » Tue May 02, 2017 11:49 am

Great thanks for the info. If I can't get out for lings, maybe I'll try out some sand dabs.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Be careful where you take fish or shell fish for eating in Puget Sound - especially bottom feeders like those or crabs, etc. You dont want to eat anything taken in Elliot Bay, Tacoma tide flats, near the Tacoma/Vashon Ferry terminal on the Tacoma side, inside Port Angelus Harbor and other places. Between the sewage spills and decades of toxic waste build up, its not safe. Check the rules book for locations to be ware of.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 pm

That's true.
In area 11 they recommend only 2-3 servings per week of flatfish.
Compared to only two servings a month of blackmouth where most of our enhancement fees go.