Ice Fishing Suit

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kfedka
Commander

Ice Fishing Suit

Post by Kfedka » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:42 pm

Yes I know its still summer. Since I have ID license this year I plan to hit lots of ID lakes this winter for ice fishing.

I have heard about the floating ice fishing suits, do anyone have any experience with them? What are you personal preferences for staying warm in the winter on ice?

Kfedka
Commander

RE:Ice Fishing Suit

Post by Kfedka » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:39 am

Well summed up the suit; Armor Arctic, its warm and its buoyant so there is that extra safety feature of it.

Some reviews here Link.

Now for the boots...

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 pm

If you can convince yourself to go with the Packer's commemorative suit (unflattering green & yellow), you can save a little bit of cash on the suit from idigear (manufacturer's) website - $269.99 They're advertising it now as a spring clearance (over the holidays last year it was a X-mas special); They can't get rid of 'em.

ice seaker
Petty Officer

Post by ice seaker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:15 am

Kfedka,
I have never used the suit your talking about but i use the Artic Armor blue suit and could not be happier it keeps me warm in the coldest days high up in the mountains as i ride my snow machine to the lakes then after i set up the shantie i have to take it off because of the temps. the safety factor is a great idea and from everything i have seen on them it seems like they work but i allready bought the blue suit before they came out with that one. if you buy please tell use how it is and if you have tested it yet.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 am

A bottle of Baileys does it fine for under $12.00.I wear long underwear and my artic boots .On top is a Carhart Overhauls. It dosent get cold here like in Minnesota.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:43 am

racfish wrote:A bottle of Baileys does it fine for under $12.00.
Baileys makes you bouyant? I never knew...:clown:
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Why would you need a bouyant suit for ice fishing? When I ice fish the ice is usually 20 plus inches thick. If its less then 10" thick I wouldnt go on it. Even if it dosent make you bouyant it sure kills any pain that might happen.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

ice seaker
Petty Officer

Post by ice seaker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:57 am

racfish wrote:Why would you need a bouyant suit for ice fishing? When I ice fish the ice is usually 20 plus inches thick. If its less then 10" thick I wouldnt go on it. Even if it dosent make you bouyant it sure kills any pain that might happen.
the bouyant suit is a great idea if you think you are going for a swim!!!!!!!!!!! but at 20 inches of ice you have allready missed several really good weeks of fishing i hit the ice anything after 4 inches and have done really good because of the fish hunger and early ice.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:38 am

racfish wrote:Why would you need a bouyant suit for ice fishing? When I ice fish the ice is usually 20 plus inches thick. If its less then 10" thick I wouldnt go on it. Even if it dosent make you bouyant it sure kills any pain that might happen.
I've never fished in 20 inches of ice,ax was probably 14 inches. The thinnest ice I've fished on was 3 inches, it was cracking everywhere we stepped(had a 2hr drive there, so we risked it, kinda stupid what we did though).

Can I get some links for boots.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:50 am

I bought my Artic Boots through Cabelas bargain basement ads. They were 300.00 boots with liners but being there were no laces they were maked down to $50.00. Them is some toasty warm boots. At my weight I worry about the thin ice. I've been to a lake that cracked while you walked on it and it was scarey.I'll accept the lil bit poorer fishing over fishing on thin ice. Good name for a song!!

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:33 am

Kfedka wrote:
I've never fished in 20 inches of ice,ax was probably 14 inches. The thinnest ice I've fished on was 3 inches, it was cracking everywhere we stepped(had a 2hr drive there, so we risked it, kinda stupid what we did though).

Can I get some links for boots.
If you've never fished on ice more than 14 inches, then it probably doesn't get that cold. The suit sounds like a cool idea, if you got the cash and love ice fishing, go for it, probably not needed. I use to fish similar conditions, I'd have my carhartt and I was fine, . Not sure about fishing on 3 inches of ice, that's a little too thin, I've walked across it, but never stood still over a hole.

BMGW
Petty Officer

Post by BMGW » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:20 pm

3" of new or forming ice is safe, (booming) or (Cracking) from freezing. NOT safe if it's rotting ice or absence of booming or cracking. Lots of ice experience from Northern Minnesota. PS: you should always have a set of ice spikes around your shoulders regardless of the ice thickness...

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:48 pm

If I were to take up ice fishing, this is the way I would go [thumbup]

http://www.totaloutdoornetwork.com/annu ... ity_sports

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:If I were to take up ice fishing, this is the way I would go [thumbup]

http://www.totaloutdoornetwork.com/annu ... ity_sports
Ummmm ya me too! Those are sweet!
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:00 pm

that's my kinda ice fishing!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Back in the mid west, they are very serious about their ice fishing. The lakes get frozen so thick and for so long, guys actually stake out an area of the lake. The weather can turn extremely bad very quick. If you don't have shelter, your chances of survival are very slim.

Ice fishing is intertwined with several other winter "festivals". The winters are so long and harsh, they do make the best of it.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:29 pm

In the day, and that means a 100 pounds lighter and 25 years younger, I would fish ice that was 2" thick, if it was clear. The "booming" or "cracking" ice is an interesting way of explaining it, but we just brushed the snow back and examined the ice - clear, free of bubbles, safe 2" or more, full of bubbles, need more ice.

I once fished 1/2" thick ice, when I was about 150#, with a large pair of snow shoes. It worked great, the fishing was wonderful, I must have been stupid.#-o

6" of clear (booming) ice will hold a snow machine or ATV - 10" will hold a pick-up truck.

As for clothes, I was always too poor to spend the kind of money it takes for an Arctic survival suit. I used insulated coveralls and Army surplus Micky Mouse boots.:alien:
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:09 pm

I've used clothing and shelters from Clam Corp for years. I used to use snowmobile suits but the Clam gear is better. My family's from Michigan and the winters can be long, and cold. If you wanted to be outdoors it was either ice fishing, snowmobiling, or skiing. All 3 meant warm & dry. When the ice was bad we used to slide long boards out to walk on.
Life's short - fish hard!

BMGW
Petty Officer

Post by BMGW » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 pm

I think he meant Ice Armor, vexilar has a great suit as does strikemaster. I like strikemasters bibs the best!