Silver Lake Ice

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Silver Lake Ice

Post by raffensg64 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 am

I'm not attempting to circumvent Aaron42ash's original thread on ice reports, but figured I'd drop one specifically for Silver here in Spokane County. I see that folks are still fishing Eloika. I had to do a test cut on a 6" auger I haven't used in 10 years so I thought I'd see how this lake's ice had weathered the recent warmth.

Nobody there when I arrived at 10:30. The ice has melted away from the bank from 1-2 feet. Last night's first sub-freezing temps solidified the surface and I'm glad I took my cleats. I moved slowly out cutting a few holes. The auger worked OK, although it will need new blades soon! I made it out about 75 yards. At all 3 holes the ice measured at exactly 8.5". The top 2" or so is still compact snow cover with the rest mostly clear ice. I was actually very surprised. I'd thought it would have deteriorated more after 7 windy days at mid-40 temps. At the last hole, though, the shavings from the bottom 1" or so came up damp, indicating some breakdown.

I'm going down this afternoon to wet a line for awhile, despite it not being the optimum fishing time. Will work my way further out and will post an update later.

These next few days should toughen the ice even more as we get overnight lows in the 20s.

smoke14
Petty Officer

RE:Silver Lake Ice

Post by smoke14 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:34 pm

[sad] I was hoping the ice would be deteriorating faster . hard to bass fish with hard water [flapper]

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Sorry bout that Smoke14! Besides, you and I both know that bass fishery won't get really ripping until well after ice-off!

OK, I covered the entire distance from where the gray ice begins at the launch to where the clear, spooky ice begins. I punched over a dozen holes at roughly 25 yard intervals. I headed straight off the launch for 100 yards then angled south, passing the buoy and ending up just short of the red boat house. The ice got progressively thinner, starting at 8.5" near the launch and ending up at 5.5" where the gray stuff meets the clear. I didn't go any further than that......ice beyond that was under 5" on my last trip on Saturday, and I'm sure 48 more hours of 45 degree highs and heavy rains didn't do it any favors!

It'll be making ice and becoming more stable these next couple nights. I'm guessing we should be good through the weekend!

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks for making the effort and reporting on the ice. I certainly haven't had enough ice fishing.

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 pm

JKay, neither have I. I don't want it to end too early...our options are limited enough already! I often times wish we could fish lakes like Clear and Loon in the winter. What a hoot those would be!

steel_lee
Angler

Post by steel_lee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:00 am

I thought that Silver had crappie but I have not read any reports saying that they had caught them. So, are the crappie out of reach, other end of the lake, or are they just hanging out where the fisherman are not?

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 am

steel_lee wrote:I thought that Silver had crappie but I have not read any reports saying that they had caught them. So, are the crappie out of reach, other end of the lake, or are they just hanging out where the fisherman are not?
Silver Does have Crappie. Everyone fishes for Perch at Silver because that is what only seems to bite.#-o

Most of the crappie I caught in general ice fishing were always suspended. The area at the boat launch were everyone fishes, I have not seen any Crappie pulled out summer or winter. You would have a try a different location to find them.

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Kfedka's right. I've seen hundreds of perch caught there this year....against only ONE sunfish and nothing else. I have caught small crappie there during the summer, but don't have a clue where they go during the winter. It's possible that I'm always fishing below them. Silver's deep, and the perch are usually on the bottom, vs. crappie that have a tendency to suspend.

Probably a structure thing, though. If you could find it, you'd find some crappies.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:51 pm

I've caught a grand total of two crappie over the summer fishing the boat launch area. Silver's huge and not as many people wander like they do on Eloika. Who knows, maybe there's even walleye in the 80' depths. ;-)

smoke14
Petty Officer

Post by smoke14 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:11 pm

I have caught alot of crappie during the summer with my kids. Usually on the east side of the lake about 1/2 way down.
where the stumps stick out of water past the rock point. Might be worth trying if the ice is good.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 pm

smoke14 wrote:I have caught alot of crappie during the summer with my kids. Usually on the east side of the lake about 1/2 way down.
where the stumps stick out of water past the rock point. Might be worth trying if the ice is good.
Careful on the ice, mushy ice like it is now is very dangerous. At least put a life jacket on under your coat and have you ice picks around your neck.

In regard to locations, the stumps are great for Crappie in summer. It would be nice to park on the road and pass through that private piece of land there to get right to the fishing hole without having to walk 30 minutes from the boat launch.

Black Plague
Petty Officer

Post by Black Plague » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:02 am

just have someone drop you off and pick you up.

Meeks9591
Warrant Officer

Post by Meeks9591 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:41 am

I catch way too many crappie spring/summer there, right out from the boat launch in the small cove there to the right. Get a few plus sized ones too.
Millions of lakes, millions of fish, 1 angler 1 life, live it and fish it!
I'm an ADDICTED TROPHY HUNTER.