Handy Trick

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Handy Trick

Post by raffensg64 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:16 pm

While ice fishing last week, my buddy and I were experiencing a slow perch bite. They had bitten decently earlier in the morning but had suddenly stopped. I figured the bite was over. My buddy began working the column and he found some perch about 3-4 feet off the bottom. They weren't real high up, just enough to no longer see our offerings near the bottom.

So, on my next trip, I tried something I hadn't tried in years. I tied a size 8 snelled hook into the line 3.5 feet above my bottom lure. Baiting both with a single perch eye, I began fishing. As I expected, the usual morning bite was on the bottom, where I got my first half dozen fish. Shortly thereafter, the bite slowed and I went without a take for nearly 30 minutes. Suddenly another school came through, providing several takes. Interestingly, 5 of my next 6 fish took the top hook! I now have one rig permanently set up with two hooks, and will go to it as soon as the bottom bite stops.

That's no coincidence, and makes me wonder how many times I've simply missed them by fishing under them.

Meeks9591
Warrant Officer

RE:Handy Trick

Post by Meeks9591 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 pm

I do that in bass tournaments, I'll have a shakey head on the bottom with a drop shot rig a couple feet up for the suspended fish.
Millions of lakes, millions of fish, 1 angler 1 life, live it and fish it!
I'm an ADDICTED TROPHY HUNTER.