Camping At PotHoles

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Re: Camping At PotHoles

Post by hlindsay » Sat May 03, 2014 8:10 am

If you didn't know they start taking reservations on the 15th. As of 09:00 on 5/3 there are about 18 sites taken for the 15 I didn't look past that. On the 12 it is first come. You could get a site on the 12th someone has reserved for 15 or later, and you would have to move. So you might want to check that. The problem with reserving the 15 to the end of your trip and going on the 12 is someone could be in the site and would not hae to leave antil the 15th. What I have done is check before I go then get there make sure the site is open on the 12 (I have hit it at this time more than once). Then call the reseveration number with my cell and reserve the 15 to the end of the trip. It is a few dollars more but it is piece of mind.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Sun May 18, 2014 6:25 am

Forget what I wrote above. They have changed the system. You no longer self register. The entry station has someone in it or you use a phone at the entry to call, and either way you are in the computer system. No more double booked sites with a paper and computer system working together. It is all on the computer. I don’t know if the phone is 24 hr or what but someone is in the entry from around 10 to 4.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Mon May 19, 2014 9:41 pm

I've never had a problem with using the online reservation so far after all these years. Pretty excited about the trip. 2 more weeks.

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Wed May 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Online works great, when it is reservation time. I was talking about the time that crosses over from first come to reservation time. I was at the park last week and they said that the change for signing in at the park (first come sights that have not been reserved) was because they would post the open sites on the board and people would get the site on the self register.(fill out the paper and put it in the box) then some one would double book with the online.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Wed May 21, 2014 9:24 pm

hlindsay wrote:Online works great, when it is reservation time. I was talking about the time that crosses over from first come to reservation time. I was at the park last week and they said that the change for signing in at the park (first come sights that have not been reserved) was because they would post the open sites on the board and people would get the site on the self register.(fill out the paper and put it in the box) then some one would double book with the online.
I see. I get it now.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:27 pm

Got back yesterday from my trip at Potholes State Park.

It's a nice place. But definitely bring the bug spray. Mosquitos was a constant battle. Also had minor issues with hornets. And little tiny ants. Our tent pad area was covered with them.

The bottom power plug at our site didn't work most of the time. Using the top plug works perfectly.

The male ADA shower in the RV section doesn't have hot water.

I see the majority of the sites are very shady, which is nice to beat the heat. Lots of protection from the wind at camp.

Also, the gas station across from the park is very nice and handy. Ice cream, fishing gear, general supplies and ice. Very convenient. Had to buy 40 lbs of ice from there on our Mon-Fri trip. This was on top of the 21 lbs we already had when we got there.

Oh, I don't know what those little flying bugs are called, but they are thick out on the water. You pray for some wind, then they back off. But once the wind dies down, ugh.

There's 2 varieties that's annoying. A gray looking one and green ones. The green ones bite!

Would camp there again.

tbrinks
Warrant Officer

Post by tbrinks » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:41 pm

You are right about the bugs, just got back from there yesterday. Bass fishing was excellent but I still got more bug bites than bass bites.
Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:31 pm

lol check out the back of my shorts when I sat down on the seat. My domestic partner starts laughing and I'm like why. She takes a picture tries to show it to me.

Eli Garretson
Angler

Post by Eli Garretson » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 am

great spot to camp and fish we will be out this easter we do a trip each year its a blast

CR250Rider
Angler

Post by CR250Rider » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:02 am

The park rangers at banks lake as well as sun lakes are unfriendly at best.
Anymore I avoid the state parks and use the "resorts". Last week we drove thru sun lakes and there were 4 people camping in a campground that could hold hundreds, but at sun lakes resorts (privately owned) it was packed. What does that tell you...

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:09 pm

Hows the weather and fishing in early April for potholes?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 am

Could be good or could be bad. It will probably be better than May - maybe :)

Check the historical reports to get a feel for how it could go.

Chances are pretty good there will be no snow or ice... ;)

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:41 am

Larry3215 wrote:Could be good or could be bad. It will probably be better than May - maybe :)

Check the historical reports to get a feel for how it could go.

Chances are pretty good there will be no snow or ice... ;)
Is there currently snow or ice in the area? I want to camp and fish in decent weather. Also, how is the wind during spring over there?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:16 am

Thats also highly variable this time of year. The next few days over there have lows in the low 30's and winds to 25 mph. Who knows what it will be next week?

It can get real bad or it can be real nice. The ice should be all gone by now but a late snow storm is still possible, but not likely. The passes could be bad though.

Generally speaking the weather on that side of the mountain is hotter on hot days and colder on cold days and windier on windy days than it is on our side.

odddoylerules
Petty Officer

Post by odddoylerules » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:03 pm

Dude they crop dust the state park when it happens at 5 am you'll know it. Best place to camp is the boat launch imo, less assholes, great shore fishing, no bugs, shelter from wind, lots of fishermen coming through, and it's free.