Boat-in camping

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
kodacachers
Lieutenant

Boat-in camping

Post by kodacachers » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for boat-in camping spots with good fishing. They need to have an outhouse--not just a hole over a log. I know there's some at Lake Chelan, anyone been to those (and whether they get crowded) or know other lakes?
Thanks.

Big D

Re: Boat-in camping

Post by Big D » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:51 pm

kodacachers wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm looking for boat-in camping spots with good fishing. They need to have an outhouse--not just a hole over a log. I know there's some at Lake Chelan, anyone been to those (and whether they get crowded) or know other lakes?
Thanks.
There's a nice boat in camping spot about half way between Chief Jo dam and the lower pens on Rufus Woods. It's about ten or twelve miles up river from the dam. It’s got a nice dock for tying up and a pit toilet. I've never camped there but I've dropped the ladies off a couple of times to use the facilities and didn't hear many complaints other than about the rattle snakes.

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks Big D! I'll let the ladies choose--toilet or rattlers...

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Lake Roosevelt has some boat in camping. On location that comes to mind is called Crystal Cove, and I know it has a real outhouse because I had to use it in a hurry the last time I fished in that cove. [biggrin]
That cove is actually located between Porcupine Bay and Fort Spokane on teh Spokane river arm.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:19 am

no outhouses of course.. but lake Kachess & Cle Elum, you can motor up and find spots to camp out on.. this is more secluded rugged camping though. not for everyone..

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 am

kodacachers wrote:Hi Guys,
Thanks.
I visited the first one up lake chelan on the north shore this year, and i loved it. does have an outhouse and we were alone.

another one is jones island, san juans. absolutely beautiful with really spectacular outhouses. sounds weird to say that about an out house, but check this out:

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Kayak Point for Boat-in or Tent Camping

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:39 am

To Dustin. I'm new here and was wondering how you were able to upload a pic with your post? As for boat camping, Kayak Point park has boat camping. You'd have to check their website for details. It's a Snohomish county park. We've been tent camping there for over 25 years. It's a scenic salt water park with boat launch, pier and a camp ground with all amenities. I'd like to meet responsible members interested in area 8-2 boat camping, trolling for salmon and of course, crabbing!! Please note: I may be female however, I am looking to land a fish, not a partner! We go in a group setting. They're anticipating exceptional silver and pink runs this year. Baker Lake is also very nice for fishing and camping. Retired, mellow or can go during weekdays a bonus =D>

PS-just to be upfront, I am a responsible smoker (for those that can't or won't be around smokers).
Bobber_Dogger

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 am

If you wanna make the trek up to Canada their is Lake Shuswap. For a few years a group of us rented house boated in Sicamus and camped along the shore of that huge lake. Several places to rent from, some beaches get pretty crowded with houseboats. Other companies rent jet skis and floating hot tubs you can tow behind the boat. The fishing isn't to great except for pikeminnow. There is walleye, dollies, kokanee, rainbow and kings where prepping to spawn in the creeks one year.

cutthroat101
Angler

Post by cutthroat101 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Here are some options I have learned about.

Lake Ozette on the Olympic National Park has boat in sites. It does have some challenges (required bear canisters). A friend of mine took a group of canoers there. Gotta watch the wind..

Diablo Lake has some as well. I've stayed on it a couple times. Outhouses at each site I believe. The water can be a little colored from run off but I know there are fish in it.

Also, Baker Lake has a site on the east side of the lake, Maple Grove, that I've stayed at for three nights a few years ago. Not real well marked, look for the dilapidated dock almost up to the corner of the lake. There is an outhouse at that location. I would imagine it gets filled up on the weekends when the sockeye season is rolling. We fished it and got there on Thursday to beat the crowd to the site. Caught 9.. Think there was other sites further south on the east side but can't say for sure.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue May 05, 2015 2:33 pm

cutthroat101 wrote:Here are some options I have learned about.

Lake Ozette on the Olympic National Park has boat in sites. It does have some challenges (required bear canisters). A friend of mine took a group of canoers there. Gotta watch the wind..

Lake Ozette was by far the best boat in camping I've ever done. Pretty much forget about outhouses if you are boat in camping. The idea is that you will be getting away from standard campgrounds, and therefor you won't usually see an outhouse. Lake Ozette is the 3rd largest natural lake in the state, (not dammed rivers, (Roosavelt, etc.)
Ozette has about 3 islands that you can boat up to, explore. As well as it is extremely remote as you go South. Some cool species in there too.
Another great lake to boat camp is Lake Shannon, up near Baker lake. Don't let the minimal amount of reports on this site discourage you on Lake Shannon. There are huge fish up there, and interesting species. If you decide to check out Shannon, I can send you a map of a couple of boat-in camp areas, as well as locations of where quality fish have been caught.

Bobber_Dogging_Gal
Petty Officer

Boat-in camping Shannon, Baker & Upvalley

Post by Bobber_Dogging_Gal » Wed May 06, 2015 3:10 am

Hi Quad. Where at on Shannon? You mean the west end of Shannon? I've fished it for over 25 years but have yet to camp there. Is it boat access only camping? The area near the lower dam for kokanee fishing is now posted by the power company and gated off. We used to bank fish it. Now you have to drive all the way up the boat launch area just to bank fish. I'd like to meet other responsible locals (no drama) who like to camp & fish Baker & Shannon. We're down in north Snoho but quite familiar with Skagit waters. Also like to fish and camp up valley near the Cascade & Skagit rivers. Any ideas or suggestions welcome (((Fish On)))
Bobber_Dogger

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Sun May 31, 2015 8:38 pm

I go with a group of guys every year to Timothy Lake down near Government Camp, Oregon. We launch pontoons and small motorboat and flotilla across to Meditation Point, which has lakeside camping and excellent fishing from shore and the water. We raft our boats and toons to the lake edge, leave then inflated all weekend long and have ourselves a little fishing derby. We went in late July last year and the fishing was great.
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

high country
Petty Officer

Post by high country » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:52 am

Roosevelt, chelan, priest.....they all have some of what you are after. The spots with the potty tend to be more crowded. Chelan is expensive if you want to stay at Stehikin, by the time you pay all of the park service fees......it's around 40 bux minimum if I recall correctly. Priest is free and roosevelt is just a launch fee.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:31 pm

I second Jones Island and add the other state parks and resorts in the San Juans, check Sucia up at the north end of the Islands.

It's not that far to run to Roche for ice cream. LOL Snug Harbor used to be good camping... now, it's just cabins.. There is a resort, west side of Orcas, has camping, small store... crabbing... if you go, before, give mme a hollar, I'll tell ya where I found bumper crab... or just crab right next to the resort.. they're there also... spotty results though.
http://www.parks.wa.gov/594/Sucia-Island" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"