Clear Lake near White Pass

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
strider43
Captain

Clear Lake near White Pass

Post by strider43 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Has anybody fished Clear lake next to Rimrock lake? Do flies work well? Are there places to camp on or near the lake outside of the FS campgrounds?

trout-killa
Angler

Re: Clear Lake near White Pass

Post by trout-killa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:01 pm

I havent fished it this year. There are two forest service campgrounds there. Plenty of shore access on the dam side of the lake, which is where the campgrounds are. (They say that there are two campgrounds, but it is just like one big campground.) There is a quality boat launch at the campground. I've never tried using flies there really, but im sure they can work. A few lakes that are a short drive away like knuppenburg and leech lake are more suited for fly fishing(knuppenburg i can vouch for, and althiugh its a small lake it has big browns and brooks). The sites at clear lake are large and quality, big enough for a 40' motorhome. I usually just bottomfish with good success whenever i fish at clear. Just to let you know i remeber finding lots of terrestrials, especially ants, in the stomachs of the fish, so maybe an ant dry fly could be the ticket. Good luck!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:41 am

Thanks for the information, knuppenburg, Leach and Dog lakes all look great.

Kaptain King
Petty Officer

Post by Kaptain King » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:55 am

I have fished Clear and if you can get on the back side of it there are some nice holes and areas to fish. You can get some good areas to cast which is nice. Knuppenburg is the ticket in my opinon and I agree with trout-killa on that one; big browns for a really small "lake". Leech lake has fish but I have heard that is a tough one to match flies up with and the casting may be tough. If you want to try a good creek, try Summit Creek...It is on the west side of White Pass towards Packwood up a foerst service road. Soda Springs campground is right there. You have to bushwhack a little and walk in the creek but you can cast pretty easy, there are some great holes, the fish eat ANYTHING, and it is full of Rainbows, Cutthroat, and Brook trout. Great fishing.
"For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:29 am

We will be in boat so access will not be an issue. Which area do you consider the back? Is there a place to camp at Knuppenburg? I don't see Knuppenburg in the regs either so statewide rules in effect? Hey guys thanks for all of the info!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:31 am

how have you fished Knuppenburg? I troll flies a lot behind a dodger and I use spinners/wedding rings. What do the Browns hit on?

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

fished clear and the teiton river about 4 years ago. didn't have my boat for the lake and only stayed for an hour or so. unsuccessful. same with the river. saw lots of elk and a black bear though.

trout-killa
Angler

Post by trout-killa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Knuppenburg is about a mile west of the summit. It is right next to the highway. No campground, it is only about a 1 acre pond, but looks can be deceiving. No launch, and unless you have a boat that you can carry in, you arent getting a boat in. I just fished w/nightcrawlers when there, i would assume a wooley bugger would work there. The fish are extremely voracious there and will eat when stuffed with insects. One day in particular when i was there, a guy was succesful with spoons, kastmasters i think. I had no luck myself with spinners and spoons.