Umpquah

Talk about River Fishing in Oregon
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Umpquah

Post by racfish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Can any of you Oregonians tell me a lil about the Umpquah (sp) river. I have a supplier in Oregon who swears by the river for steel and salmon.Info like towns and or hotels nearby to stay in while fishing?
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

sellis_414
Commander

RE:Umpquah

Post by sellis_414 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:07 pm

When I worked for the forest service we had a two week detail fighting some fires east of Roseburg... Roseburg is on the Umpqua so I would suggest staying there. Its a fairly good sized city.
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

FarmerTed
Angler

Re: Umpquah

Post by FarmerTed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:43 am

Forget steelhead and salmon. The river has 5000 sm mouth bass per river mile. its a magical river I dream about, and I cant wait to get bck there.

Chetco
Petty Officer

Re: Umpquah

Post by Chetco » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:50 am

Steelhead under 15 lb is not even worth talking about. This river will EAT your boat but the catching is something.

Chetco
Petty Officer

Umpqua River

Post by Chetco » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:56 am

Steelhead to 20+ lb salmon springers and fall ,small mouth 50-100 per day. I'm not a guide just an old fisherman sharing .

LCWilson3006
Angler

Re: Umpqua River

Post by LCWilson3006 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:47 am

Premier World Class Fly Fishing - on the Umpqua River

To quote the BLM; anyone thinking of fishing the North Umpqua River "Fly-fishing-only regulations apply to the entire North Umpqua Wild and Scenic River Corridor, from Rock Creek to the Soda Springs Dam, 33.8 miles. Fishing from any floatation device is prohibited." (Source: Web at https://www.blm.gov/or/districts/rosebu ... eries.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Now, we've got that out of the way. The Umpqua River has the following Summer and Winter steelhead, Fall and Spring Chinook salmon, Coho salmon, and sea-run Cutthroat trout; along with small mouth bass in the lower reach or main stem. So, as you can tell fly fishing is not the only way to fish the Umpqua River.

Special attention needs to be paid to where you are fishing due to Oregon regulations; as, the North, South, and Main have different regulations. Those regulations for 2016 can be found on line at: http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/ ... l-LR-7.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Les Wilson