2015 PIKE TALLEY

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Re: 2015 PIKE TALLEY

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:55 pm

farmer_aa wrote:Hey Rick, both leaders were sliced off in the middle. One about 7" from the snap. I would have liked to have seen the fish that did it! It was a sharp toothed critter, no doubt, as this is a real rarity.

I saw my fish that bit my leader into and it was a 48" + monster from PO river back in the day. Sure miss that place , well it's still there i guess they just changed the name of it to the Dead sea. lol

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:00 am

Released 11 more pike yesterday. Total is up to 263 now for the year. No bigguns, best was a 30"er. All but one came on the glide baits, one on a frog. Water temps 39-41. Damn it was cold out there!

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:51 pm

4 more released on Saturday gets the total up to 267. They're slowing down a little and I'm not sure if I will get back out again this year or not. This years target of 300 pike might fall a little short. No monstersthis trip. The packernut got one at 30" and my biggest wetr around 26-27". Beautiful weather though.

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Hey Mark are you fishin the main lake this time of year or the Chain? If your fishin the main lake what boat launch are you using? Id like to get out at least one more time this year but I don't know which launches are useable still.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:38 am

I have been fishing the main lake. I use Mica bay, Sun up bay, and Spokane point. They are all usable now. Spokane point is the one that could be a problem in freezing temps. It's a little steep but a good launch. Sunup and Mica are both excellent ramps. The water temps are dropping lately of course and the fish seem to be slowing down a little. I am thinking about launching out of Mica and heading north to Echo Bay, squaw bay, and some of the other north end bays next weekend if I can get out. I haven't used Mica in a while but I believe it is still usable. Water level might be the issue there. I believe you can still launch at Harrison or wolf lodge to.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:55 pm

The grinder!!!! still fishing, you lucky SOB!!!! I need to move up there.

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Do you ever use the Kid Island launch? It's free and in the area I'd like to fish, but I've never been there.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:07 pm

Nope I didn't even know it existed

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:22 pm

It's looks like a kind of primitive launch and in a somewhat of a shallow cove, so may not be usable with the water down.

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:54 am

AJ's Dad wrote:AAAHHHH, my hands were finally feeling the bite of colder weather yesterday. Not that I like the cold hands but it sure makes the fish bite better. Over night lows in the 30's the last week have the water temps at Cda down into the mid 50's. Fish are still willing to hit spinnerbaits, and they took a liking to the glide baits yesterday. Unfortunately my brother had not only cold hands, but a cold rod. He got shut out on the day. I caught and released 13 pike, 5 of them were 30" or bigger. Best 2 were a 9 1/2 pounder at about 34" and a 35" 12 pounder. Great looking fish. 13 more puts my total for the year at 214.
Hey Mark I see you catch a lot of your fish on glide baits. What do you consider a glide bait? Are you talking jointed or one piece baits? And If you don't mind sharing what baits are you using? I have a few baits that I consider glide baits one is the Rapala glide rap which I hate and have never caught a fish on, And the R2S S-waver which I love and caught tons of fish on.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:56 pm

I've been doing real well with the rapala glidin rap. If you have some and don't like them. I'll take them off your hands if I like the color. They don't make them any more.

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:38 pm

AJ's Dad wrote:I've been doing real well with the rapala glidin rap. If you have some and don't like them. I'll take them off your hands if I like the color. They don't make them any more.

The one I have is Perch color, so they don't make them any more huh? how about a 100 bucks for it then :) Just kiddin 50 would be fine LOL OK 25? I don't even remember what they cost any more.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:23 am

$12 US on ebay right now. [-X

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:13 pm

The cheapest 6 " Glidin rap currently on Ebay is $19.99 and 4 dollars shipping that I could find, but that for a new one and mines not new. Many of these are $35 on ebay as well. I believe the one I have was in what they call Hot Olive color, that I add Perch stripes to,
Here is the bait as it looks now

Since I don't fish it anyway you can have it for what ever you think is a fair price, but the custom Fish-N-Fool paint job oughta be worth an extra 5 :)

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:12 pm

No offense intended Rick, but custom Fish n Fool sharpies lines don't carry much value. :) In fact I would rather have the bait in the factory color.
I have 10 brand new ones in the box in the hot olive color. I guess you don't have to wonder what color I have been using now.
I have bought these baits from locations in Lithoania, Mexico, and the UK, and I personally own over 30 Glidin Raps. One of them has put over 30 fish in the boat over 3 trips. I have recently received a similar bait made by a different company that I will try out this weekend. This new bait is more readily available. I will see how I like it on Saturday.

I'll give you $5 for yours if you want to deliver it to Spokane for me. [biggrin]

Incidentally, it takes a little more than just owning this bait. I have watched others use the lure with little to no success until they become proficient with it. I used it several times myself and only caught one fish before I spent some time learning to use it right. You have to play with it to make it work it's magic. There's more to it than throwing it out and reeling it in. I fished with a friend a short time ago, and he had caught 4 fish all day on one of these lures. We stopped in a good location at the end of the day and worked a little on his technique with the bait. He practiced with the bait trying some of the things I had been doing with it, and in 30 minutes he put 5 more fish in the boat. I'm not trying to blow my own horn. I'm just telling you to try different things with this lure. Once you have it down. You'll love it. Take it to Last Mountain with you in the spring, but you better take several of them, because the pike up there love them to. Some of those Canadian fish have bigger teeth than the Idaho fish do, and they are real hard on a lure. I attached a photo of an example for you

I believe you said you hated the one you have. Watch Doug Stangy's video on it. It will give you an idea how to work it. I fish it differently than he does in the video but I will tell you this. If I had to go pike fishing with only one lure, during any seasonal period, this would be it.
Attachments
Teeth.jpg

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Well I released 2 nice pike today, on my last pike trip of 2015. That has me finishing the year with 269 total. Over half of those came from a 6 day trip to Canada which I hope to do again real soon. It's been a great season. I had the opportunity to fish with several diffrent people and meet some new friends in the mean time, that I will hopefully have the chance to fish with for years to come. Here's the last photo of the year for me. A nice fat 28" 7 pounder that hit my new glide bait within the first 10 minutes of the day. He never realized he was hooked until he got to the boat, then made 2 nice runs to let me know he wasn't actually just eating in his (or her) sleep.
One photo shows the Packernut tromping through the snow to get to the boat. Who cares when your out there catching fish, right?? Fishing in this kind of weather makes a guy really enjoy a nice warm truck for the ride home.

Merry Christmas to everyone and we'll see you on the water next year. In the mean time I hope Santa brings all of you the fishing tackle of your dreams.
Attachments
--.jpg
IMG_1032 - Copy.JPG

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:15 pm

It's funny how so many people think fisherman are crazy fishing in adverse and unfavorable conditions yet they always seem to be the ones that are envious for not catching that many fish.....AJ Dad, thanks for making me feel like a normal fisherman in spirit at least. That snowy boat launch is a beautiful sight to me in more ways than one.

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 pm

AJ's Dad wrote:I had the opportunity to fish with several diffrent people and meet some new friends in the mean time, that I will hopefully have the chance to fish with for years to come.
I'm available any time, still waiting for my invite! LOL

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:58 am

Fish-N-Fool wrote:
AJ's Dad wrote:I had the opportunity to fish with several diffrent people and meet some new friends in the mean time, that I will hopefully have the chance to fish with for years to come.
I'm available any time, still waiting for my invite! LOL
Rick,
I mentioned the opportunity to meet some great new friends and fish with them and I mean that. It's been a very good year. Please don't be offended that I haven't invited you along, but there comes a time when a guy has to limit how many "Die hard" pike fishermen he takes to his favorite spots. As I have said in previous posts. None of the locations I fish at are secrets by any means, but the fewer people that fish there, the better luck one can expect to have.
You have caught lots of pike in your lifetime, I'm sure. If you simply take the time to explore the main lake at Cda and look for the same kind if habitat that you have fished at the POR, you will find fish. I have seen you on the water at Swan Lake. That is one of my favorite lakes in the chains. There are plenty of fish there, and some big ones to.
Gas up your boat, launch ay any of the many launches on Cda and run around looking for the right kind of water. Pay attention to where other people are fishing. Even stop a resonable distance from them and fish a shoreline thay have already fished, and learn what kind of weedline or other structure is there. Chances are you will be using a diffrent bait than they are and will catch fish right behind them. Cda is a huge lake and there are fish everywhere. Granted catching them is the obvious goal, but searching for them, and finding them without someone pointing you to the exact spot is very rewarding. Apply the same techniques, and search for the same habitat that you fish in your other lakes and you will be sucessfull.
Oh ya, and keep your eye out for my red and white skeeter on that "Little Lake" you fish and have missed a couple of big ones. You just might see me there once in a while this year. [thumbup]

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:02 am

So what your saying is your fine with stealing my spots, but don't want to share any of yours. lol :) [flapper] I personally don't mind share spots with guys that I know are catch and release fishermen. As I know the fish will still be there the next time I go. I even remember you fished a spot I showed you and caught some fish in the past. I just don't want it make it public for all the meat fisherman to come wipe them out. For me it's more of a meeting new people and get to know them, then a spot. So if you wanted to go fish neutral waters I'd be down with that. LOL Not sure if I will make it down to CDA much this next year anyways. I have some other bodies of water I want to fish more this next year that are about the same distance from me and from your pixs CDA doesn't seam to put out that many quality fish, but some good numbers. My little lake doesn't put out numbers but it has a 10 lb. plus average. Oh and just remember I will be fishing Last Mountain before you so I will have it fished out by the time you get there. [flapper] [rolleyes] [thumbup] Sorry the devil made me do it.