Site Question Not Off Topic

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
TMBob
Petty Officer

Site Question Not Off Topic

Post by TMBob » Fri May 31, 2019 6:58 pm

I would like to see two new report categories.

Super Secret Lake (Dumb and Dumber)

Guide Reports.......meaning that all the guides share their reports on their own drop down selection. Myself, I am more interested in what Joe Fisherman is reporting over any guides report because that is the core where this activity is from. Non Guides. Those looking to maybe hire a guide which many of us have done, now have a pure place to look at Guide Reports and maybe hire one based on their reports.

I think separating the Guides Reports is an improvement to this site.

The other was a joke to all of those that post a report in the “secret lake” area. I have for one, but the lake is a very Select gear, no bait scent, barbs or trebles and zero retention, soI would not want a bunch of rule busters fishing there so thus a secret lake report. Not saying get rid of it, but for the most part it adds very little value to the site.

TMBob
Petty Officer

Re: Site Question Not Off Topic

Post by TMBob » Fri May 31, 2019 6:58 pm

What are your thoughts?

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:33 pm

I know many people dont care for the sponsor's / guide reports. I personally am not bothered by guide or tackle manufacturer's reports that are sponsors of this site. I can tell that the report is from a sponsor right away and understand that many of these reports come from very skilled fisherman who put a lot of time on the water, even though sometimes these reports can seem "polished". I do *definitely* take that into account when considering my chances at a reported lake. I enjoy reading guide reports as much as Joe Fisherman's, and have booked with a guide that reports here.

My 2c
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Yeah, since your asking..
My internal filter when searching reports goes to 1st filtering reports to places I don’t fish, but in highly 2nd place I filter the guided reports. I too would rather read reports from ‘Joe Fisherman’
Unless I just really want to see what is making it to the boat in a certain lake.

I’m not sure how to weigh in on ‘Secret reports’—. Yes, I too have a couple lakes that I submit under Secret, due to their very fragile situation. But I whole heartedly admit that secret lake reports are for me, just bragging rights to a great day of fishing. (After all, you know how people who fish are with sharing their story)

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:03 am

I have internal filters just like Quad. I skip almost all guide reports as they don't help me as an angler, great for them to drum up business but I'm not interested in that. Of much greater value would be reports from the CUSTOMERS but that doesn't happen. I don't read reports for waters I don't fish, no value to me. Lastly, I skip all "secret spot" reports as I could care less about someplace someone has all to themselves and has to keep it "secret". Why bother reporting? Like Quad said, bragging rights.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:49 am

All the above comments very valid. I would say I agree with most of what was said. I don't mind the "secret spot" reports, we created them for a niche need. Using your personal filters is the way to go on this one guys. Creating a whole mirror database just for guide reports would be a nightmare I doubt Aaron would want to deal with.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:48 am

My comments were not in support of any changes, just indicating how I view/read reports, which has been my standard operating procedure here for a very long time. I tailor what I read to what interests me and wouldn't expect changes based on that. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount