Parents coming in to town - Want to treat them to some scenery and a little fishing.

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Thagrosh10
Angler

Parents coming in to town - Want to treat them to some scenery and a little fishing.

Post by Thagrosh10 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:10 am

So my parents are coming in from out of town and want to spend some time near the water on Sunday. My wife and I are big in to fishing, my parents on the other hand could probably take it or leave it and are more into hiking or photography. With that said I was hoping for recommendations on places that offer a good opportunity to hike around, have a picnic, or just some breathtaking views, and a chance to do a little fishing as well.

Quality of location is a priority over quality of fishing although it would be nice to have at least a chance to catch something even if it isn't a prime spot. Could be a lake, river, or beach. Typically when I go fishing it's on a crowded beach on Whidbey or one of the local rivers which is fine when I'm ready to crank out 6+ hours of just fishing but I don't think they would enjoy that.

I'm willing to drive as far as Hood canal, Anacortez, Chehalis in those respective directions.

Thanks!
Last edited by Thagrosh10 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Re: Parents coming in to town - Want to treat them to some scenery and a little fishing.

Post by branweeds » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:47 am

Artist's point would be a really good destination for a hike and view, but you could also catch a few alpine brook trout in an alpine lake. The Bagley lakes are a short walk and hide a couple decent brookies, just throw a really small spinner or a fly.

Thagrosh10
Angler

Re: Parents coming in to town - Want to treat them to some scenery and a little fishing.

Post by Thagrosh10 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 am

branweeds wrote:Artist's point would be a really good destination for a hike and view, but you could also catch a few alpine brook trout in an alpine lake. The Bagley lakes are a short walk and hide a couple decent brookies, just throw a really small spinner or a fly.
Wow that area looks really cool actually! It may be a bit far of a drive for this weekend but I def. just added it to my "Places to visit" list. Thanks for the recommendation!

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Depending on their experience, a ferry ride is always a great way to see the area from the water, at relatively little expense. If you went to Kingston, the small downtown is 'quaint', walkable and very tourist friendly. From there the north tip of the peninsula is only a 20 minute drive away and offers breathtaking views of southwest Whidbey Island, from Point No Point (which actually looks out on Useless Bay!). There is decent beach fishing for salmon there, a light house and with a nice east then southern walk on sandy beach, you could picnic and even swim a little. It would not really be much of a hike, but a decent scenery filled beach walk. There you have my 2 cents worth.