My experience with fishing/Outdoors etc. in Idaho.

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

My experience with fishing/Outdoors etc. in Idaho.

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 27, 2019 8:22 pm

I have been in the Puget Sound area for 55 years. Lots of experience fishing and exploring the great outdoors, in WA.
Well, man... I am sitting in a Condo in Sandpoint, Idaho, right on Lake Pend Oreille.
Been here 48 hours. I cannot believe the beauty of the outdoor experience in Idaho. I don’t want to make this a political rant or something, but it is so damn clean here it is just freaky! I will skip all my thoughts on the beauty, but what is really weird to me, is that when I drive into a deep in the woods mountain lake, I am expecting there must be any one of 3-4 various permit access passes, like we have in WA, right?!
No!! I roll up, and no signage about any passes!
And yet WITHOUT the revenue from passes, the lake access area was STUNNING! No litter, no garbage cans over flowing, no broken bbq, picnic tables. The vaulted pit toilet was equal in cleanliness to my own abode. It even had a ‘Glade air freshener ‘ One of my recent trips to a river in Skagit county, I stepped on a hypodermic needle.

Anyway, I just am saddened by the conditions of our recreation areas in much of Western, WA.
I wonder what becomes of the moneys that are made from The Discover Pass, The Northwest Forest Pass, and whatever other pay to play things that are in place in WA.

Don’t get me started on walking through Sandpoint, Idaho. There is parking EVERYWHERE! I’m looking around for where to pay, or to determine what is legit parking. I’m an idiot, it’s all just FREE! and clean.

Alright, off my soap box. :cheers:

FishingFool
Commodore

Re: My experience with fishing/Outdoors etc. in Idaho.

Post by FishingFool » Tue May 28, 2019 10:59 am

I've been to ID once only and that was around the Coeur D Alene area for a wedding.

This year, wanted to camp and fish in ID but out of state fishing pass is expensive so we passed on ID.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue May 28, 2019 11:40 am

FF, Oh.. man, it just occurred to me. I bet the person selling me the fishing license prob sold me a ‘Resident’ 4 day license. It wasn’t that expensive, better check that!

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:41 pm

I've been to sand point for vacation (not fishing yet) for summer and winter probably about 4 times. I love it over there. Same thing I've found with many eastern wa areas. I'll go to a boat launch in the middle of no where and the facilities are clean with no needles etc to worry about. Not to mention how much room you get on the water, even smaller bodies of water since the population isnt anything like over here. I'd live in the panhandle of washington BUT my wife would be so bored haha especially in winter. and jobs are much fewer and far between with less pay of course but you get much more bang for your buck too. I too hope things can get a little cleaner in western WA but with the population comes the riff raff of course. The rivers are where I see the most homeless/drug paraphernalia/human waste/ garage/spray paint etc. But since I got my boat a couple years ago I try to stay floating away from crowns if possible haha. I recommend sandpoint, that have a fun summer festival with live music in August too.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:10 am

I meant panhandle of Idaho or eastern wa. Not the panhandle of washington! Lol

rcjoutdoors
Petty Officer

Post by rcjoutdoors » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am

I will be there this summer after a week in Washington. Hopefully the corona issues slow down by then :salut:

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:45 am

The Quadfather wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:40 am
FF, Oh.. man, it just occurred to me. I bet the person selling me the fishing license prob sold me a ‘Resident’ 4 day license. It wasn’t that expensive, better check that!
A 4 day non resident license should have been around $36. The fees in Idaho are very affordable in my opinion. I get a season long non resident every year for $98. When I take Washington friends they all say how affordable it is. It looks like they raised the one day pass this year. In the past it was only $12.50 but I see it's now $15. Still not bad.
I share your positive thoughts about the condition of Idaho facilities. I always find them to be in good repair and Idaho is an amazing state when it comes to scenery. I find all of this to be consistent in Montana as well. It makes me wonder what happens to the monies you mentioned, to.